Southern Pacific Diesel Shop
Former Southern Pacific Diesel Shop, Oakland, California
Originally built in 1874 by the Central Pacific Railroad, just five years after the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad. The building served as a paint and varnish shop until the arrival of diesel locomotives in the 1940s, when it was converted for use as a diesel repair facility. The building is currently unused, and may soon be torn down.