Hunter's Point, Building 253, Exterior perspective, 2002
The following information about Building 253 is taken from the "Hunters Point Shipyard Historical Radiological Assessment," a 2005 US Navy report that provides an inventory of impacted/contaminated buildings at the former San Francisco Naval Shipyard.
Site Description: Building 253 is a six-story concrete-framed, glass curtain-walled building built between 1944 and 1947. The building has a large gantry for the craning of equipment to the upper stories and a periscope tower extending vertically from the roof. Building 253 is attached to Building 211 The glazing for Building 253 is standard glass.
Former Uses: Radiography Instrument Calibration through; Gauge Shop; Electronics, Optical, and Ordnance Shops; Weapons Shop; Electrical Shop; Equipment from OPERATION CROSSROADS Ships; Maritime Administration Ship Parts Storage (1994); and Probable Location of Radium Paint Activities (Gauge Shop).
Current Uses: Unoccupied.
Radionuclides of Concern: Cs-137, Pu-239, Ra-226, Sr-90, and Th-232.
Previous Radiological Investigations:
2003 Partial building characterization survey.
2002 Phase V investigation. Extensive low-level contamination (Cs-137 and Ra-226) found in and on the building and in the building ventilation system. Remediation completed on roof.
1974 Shipyard closure survey of sixth floor. No detectable activity based on limits for the period.
Contamination Potential: Known-Continued Access.