American Philosophical Society Hall
The American Philosophical Society Hall, a national landmark in Philadelphis (1789). The society was founded by Benjamin Franklin and John Bartram in 1743 as an offshoot of Franklin's Junto club. The society had many prominent members, including Alexander Hamilton, Thomas Paine, Dr. Benjamin Rush, John Marshall, Marquis de Lafayette, Baron von Steuben, Tadeusz Kosciuszko, and the first four US Presidents. The group was inactive from 1746 to 1767. In 1769, it merged with the American Society for Promoting Useful Knowledge, and Franklin was elected the first President. After the Revolution, Francis Hopkinson became the president and was able to receive a land grant from the state of Pennsylvania. This was their first permanent building, completed in 1789. A third floor was added in 1890 to accommodate their expanding library, though this was later removed to restore the building to its original form.