Building 50 at the Northern Michigan Asylum in Traverse City (1885). The Northern Michigan Asylum for the Insane was founded in 1885 as the third such institution in the state. It was the largest employer in the Traverse City area. The complex was designed in accordance with the Kirkbride Plan. The superintendent, Dr. James Decker Munson, believed that the best way to treat mental illness is with beauty and kindness. He took great steps to ensure the maintanence of the grounds. Patients were also encouraged to learn trade skills through classes; the goods from these classes helped the hospital stay financially viable. The complex closed in the 1950s when the Munson Medical Center opened.