Humphrys H. C. Miller House
The Humphrys H. C. Miller House, part of the Evanston Lakeshore Historic District (1894). Miller grew up in Jo Daviess County, first working on his father's farm and then teaching in Carroll County. While in Carroll County, he attended Mt. Carroll Seminary before leaving Illinois for Union College in Schenectady, NY in 1864. He was admitted to the University of Michigan in 1866 and graduated two years later. He returned to Illinois and was the principal of the high school in Channahon. He later served as school superintendent for Grundy County in Morris for five years, and then for Pike County in Pittsfield for one year. He was admitted to the bar in 1875, and entered into partnership with Charles W. Needham in Chicago. They worked together for five years until Needham moved to Washington, DC. While practicing in Chicago, Miller lived here in Evanston. He was Corporation Counsel for the town in 1886-87 and Village President in 1888-90. He also served on the Evanston Board of Education starting in 1880. Governor Richard Yates, Jr. appointed him to his staff in 1904, awarding him the title of Colonel. He is the namesake of nearby Miller School.