Plaza Ferdinand VII
Plaza Ferdinand VII in Pensacola, Fl, a national landmark (1765). On February 22, 1821, the Spanish agreed to cede East and West Florida to the United States in exchange for support in South America in the Adams–Onís Treaty. General Andrew Jackson received a commission as the governor of the providences, now combined into one territory. On July 17, at 10 am, Jackson rode to the Government House, met with the former Spanish governor, and together they lowered the Spanish flag at Plaza Ferdinand VII and raised the American flag.