Elswitha Hall on Caskgate Street
Gainsborough's fine Elswitha Hall, on Caskgate Street is now sadly one of the few remnants of this once quaint and attractive part of town. It now stands in a car park, between a slightly out-of-character extension built in the 1990s on it's right, and the 1960s modernist Guildhall to it's left. Both Eslwitha Hall itself and the two gateposts to the left of this photo are Grade II* listed.
The hall, named after Alfred The Great's wife Elswitha was built in 1759 (so it is 250 years old this year) has been used as Doctor's surgeries for many years.
Elswitha Hall is famous for being the birthplace in 1861 of Sir Halford Mackinder, explorer and sometimes called "the Father of Modern Geography".
Nikon F5, Nikkor 28-80mm lens, Kodak BW400CN film