Abingdon Railway Share 1889
A Share Certificate for the railway branch line which opened in 1856.The Abingdon Railway Company was a small consortium of local businessmen who raised £20,000 to fund the branch line from Abingdon to Radley, mainly by selling shares. The Company built a station and laid broad gauge track, whilst GWR (Great Western Railway) ran the train service. The line was changed to standard gauge in 1892. It was closed to passengers in 1963, a victim of the Beaching Report which recommended closure of many rural branch lines throughout the UK. Freight and finally only coal trains used the line until its closure in 1984.