Bankfoot Light Railway share certificate from 1910 This is part of the www.railarchive.org.uk collection for further information please contact info(at)railarchive.org.uk
This small 3 mile Scottish country branch Line ran from Strathord on the Caledonian Railway's Perth to Stanley Junction route. The line left the Caledonian Railway at the appropriately named Bankfoot Junction, half a mile north of Strathord station. The line was built under a Board of Trade Light Railway Order and opened on the 07 May 1907 with no intermediate stations. It was worked by the Caledonian Railway. The Bankfoot Light Railway sold the company to the Caledonian in 1912 for £5,300, some £19,726 less than what it had cost to build, even the Board of Trade had considered the estimated cost of construction of £17,000 too generous! The Caledonian sold second hand rails to the Bankfoot company and was paid in £4,620 worth of shares. Passenger traffic was sparse in the lightly populated area and passenger services ceased on 11 April 1931. The line remained open for freight traffic until the final train ran on 07 September 1964.