new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Bradford, Wakefield & Leeds 2nd share call 1862 1 | by ian.dinmore
Back to photostream

Bradford, Wakefield & Leeds 2nd share call 1862 1

The Bradford, Wakefield & Leeds Railway, destined to become part of the East Coast Main Line from Kings Cross to Leeds Central, was incorporated by an Act of July 1854 to build a line from the Leeds, Bradford & Halifax Junction Railway at Wortley South Junction near Leeds to Wakefield Westgate. The Act sanctioned a capital of £180,000 in £20 shares, with powers to borrow an additional £60,000 on loan. The Chairman was George Anderson and the General Manager was Seymour Clarke, who was also General Manager of the Great Northern and Leeds, Bradford & Halifax Junction Railways. The Engineer was Sir John Hawkshaw. The line was to be worked by the Great Northern Railway. The line opened on 10 October 1858. Various branches were added to Batley, Osset, Methley, etc. The company was renamed the West Yorkshire Railway by an Act of 21 July 1863, and amalgamated with the Great Northern Railway by another Act of 5 July 1865. The intermediate stations between Wakefield and Leeds were Lofthouse & Outwood, Ardsley and Beeston, all of which closed in the 1950s to ease congestion on the main line. The line was electrified as part of the East Coast Main Line electrification, completed in 1990

456 views
0 faves
0 comments
Uploaded on February 6, 2018