Central Wales Railway small letter 1868
The Central Wales Railway was incorporated by an Act of Parliament of 13 August 1859 to take the line the 20 miles from Knighton as far as Llandrindod, to terminate at or near the Llanerch Inn "near Llandrindod". It took 5 years in all to complete and ran into some financial difficulties (including a legal dispute between contractor and company over costs). The first section, 2 miles from Knighton to Knucklas, opened for mineral traffic only in 1861; and for passenger traffic in 1862. In 1863 the Central Wales Railway was amalgamated with the Knighton Railway by an Act of Parliament. The next section of the line, 17 miles as far as Penybont, opened in 1864 (Penybont Station was originally known as Cross Gates). Finally, Penybont to Llandrindod was completed in 1865. The line was officially opened on 10 October 1865.