Newcastle and Darlington Junction Railway Deed of Conveyance Transfer Certificate 1844
The Newcastle and Darlington Junction Railway opened in 1844 from a junction with the Durham Junction Railway at Rainton Crossing NZ3248. There were stations at Leamside, Belmont, Sherburn, Shincliffe, Ferryhill, Bradbury and Aycliffe. It crossed the Stockton and Darlington Railway at the famous S&D crossing in Darlington, finally joining the GNER at Parkgate Junction NZ2915 on the old Croft Branch.
Belmont Station NZ3044 was the junction for the Durham Gilesgate branch, which is now the route of the A690 road. Gilesgate Station NZ2842 became a goods shed when Durham North Road Station opened in 1857. The goods shed was used by Archibald's builders merchants until it was demolished in recent years.
The N&DJR took over the Durham & Sunderland Rly; Brandling Junction Railways, Durham Junction Rly, Great North of England Rly and the Pontop & South Shields Rly. The Newcastle & Darlington Junction Rly; became part of the York Newcastle & Berwick Rly in 1847.