Blane Valley Railway share certificate undated but about 1863
The Blane Valley Railway, extended the Campsie Branch of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway into the countryside immediately south of the Campsie Fells. In this sparsely populated area the main item of carriage for the line was expected to be milk to be taken to Glasgow. An act for the new railway was obtained on 6 August 1861. The eight and a quarter miles opened for freight in November 1866 and passengers in July 1867 as far as a station named Killearn. In fact the station was about two miles short of Killearn. When the Strathendrick and Aberfoyle Railway extended the route in the 1880's a new station was built at Killearn with the previous station of that name renamed as Dumgoyne. A new station was built at Lennoxtown to by-pass the previous Campsie Branch terminus there. Duntreath Castle was close to the line. The Edmonstone family had a railway halt installed at the Castle, Alice Keppel, née Edmonstone, the mistress of Edward VII, lived there. The Royal Train bearing the King was believed to have used the line from time to time. Throughout its life the line had been used by through trains from Glasgow to Aberfoyle. However, in the closing years, the service terminated at Blanefield with a separate single coach train running to Aberfoyle and back. This service was little used and would sometimes run without a single passenger.
By summer 1950 Blanefield was being served by five trains a day. The line closed to passengers the next year, on 1 October 1951. The line north from Campsie Glen closed completely eight years later, with the ending of the remaining goods services in October 1959. In April 1966 the final remaining goods services operated, and the remaining line was closed and the tracks and infrastructure removed. Parts of this railway track are now used by long distance walking routes, the West Highland Way and the John Muir Way. Parts are also used by the Strathkelvin Walkway - a cycle / foot path.