Midland Counties Railway Statement on the Progress of Works 1838
he Midland Counties Railway (MCR) was a railway company that existed between 1832 and 1844, connecting Nottingham, Leicester and Derby with Rugby vis a junction with the London and Birmingham Railway.
The MCR system connected with the North Midland Railway and the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway in Derby at what become known as the Tri Junct Station. In 1835 Charles Vignoles became the the engineer responsible for the line. Assisted on the Leicester and Trent portion by Mr. Woodhouse and on the Nottingham and Derby part by William Mackenzie.
1835 When put to Parliament the proposed capital was one million pounds. Directors included: Thomas Edward Dicey, Matthew Babbington, William Jessop, E. M. Mundy and J. Oakes. Among the shareholders were the Prime Minister Viscount Melbourne, John Cheetham, Thomas Houldsworth, John Ellis, William Evans Hutchinson, Joseph Cripps and George Walker acting for Barber, Walker and Co.
1837 June 30th. First AGM held at Loughborough. Dicey was the Chairman in April 1838 . The whole line was under contract to build and between Nottingham and Derby there were 1,000 men employed. In total more than 3,500 men and 328 horses were employed on the building.
During the 1838 AGM Dicey states that 4,000 men are employed in the build.
Official opening of the railway took place on 30 May 1839, the line was actually opened in three stages: (1) Derby to Nottingham 4 June 1839: (2) Trent Junction to Leicester 4 May 1840 and (3) Leicester to Rugby 1 July 1840
In 1840 the line ran from Rugby with stations at Leicester, Loughborough, Nottingham to end at Derby. The journey took two and three-quarter hours and fares 6/- and 5/- for the Nottingham to Leicester section. Five trains ran each day except Sunday when there were three.
On August 13th 1842 at the half-year meeting Dicey stated that a Bill for raising additional capital had been approved in Parliament. James Heyworth whose family owned 5% of the shares made protests at the actions of the Board and he followed these up at the November meeting. In 1844 the line became the basis for the foundation of the Midland Railway.