Birkenhead Lancashire & Cheshire Junction Railway share certificate 1846
The Chester & Birkenhead Railway was completed and opened for traffic on 23 September 1838. On 22 July 1847 it merged with the Birkenhead, Lancaster and Cheshire Junction Railway to become the Birkenhead, Lancashire and Cheshire Junction Railway, renamed the Birkenhead Railway in 1859. The original lines ran from Chester to Birkenhead and from Chester to Walton Junction, just outside Warrington Bank Quay station. A branch from Helsby to West Kirby was later added. By an Act of 1 January 1860 the Birkenhead Railway was jointly vested in a Joint Committee of the London & North Western and Great Western Railways, and became known as the "Birkenhead Joint.