Banbury & Cheltenham Direct Railway, Engineers report to the directors on progress building the railway 1876
The Banbury & Cheltenham Direct Railway developed in several stages. The first section to open was the branch from Kingham on the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway to Chipping Norton in 1855, A branch to the west of this to Bourton-on-the-Water opened in 1862. The remaining sections from Chipping Norton to Kings Sutton (just south of Banbury on the GWR main line to Birmingham) and from Bourton-on-the-Water to Cheltenham were completed in 1881.. Passenger services between Chipping Norton and Kings Sutton were withdrawn in 1951, and following a serious landslip in 1958, freight services were also withdrawn. Passenger services between Kingham and Chipping Norton were withdrawn in 1962, and freight services ceased between these towns in 1969.