Newtown and Machynlleth Railway Transfer Certificate 1863 1
The Newtown & Machynlleth incorporation Act of 27 July 1857 sanctioned a traffic agreement with the L&NR, O&NR, S&WR, GWR and LNWR.
David Davies and Thomas Savin were the contractors and the construction involved the excavation of the 120ft deep cutting at Talerddig (right). Thomas Savin wished to extend the line to Aberystwyth but Davies was more cautious this disagreement lead to the break up of the partnership 1860. The first contractors train reached Machynlleth on May Day 1862. Following failure of negotiations with the GWR to work the line, the N&MR was leased to the O&NR and the joint committee’s trains were extended to Machynlleth on 3 January 1863