Ayr & Dalmellington Railway large letter re materials dated 1856. This is the same railway company as the Ayrshire and Galloway Railway which was it's official title under which it obtained its act.
Ayr and Dalmellington Railway
The Ayr and Dalmellington Railway began life as the Ayrshire and Galloway (Smithstown to Dalmellington) Railway, which received Royal Assent on 8 June 1847.
Although the line was originally to go from Waterside to Sillyhole near Dalmellington, the company evolved into the Ayr and Dalmellington Railway, which received Royal Assent on 4 August 1853 and had new plans to extend the line to both towns. The line opened to freight on 15 May 1856, and to passengers on 7 August of the same year. The Glasgow and South Western Railway took over the line on 1 August 1858.
The line closed to passengers on 6 April 1964. The majority of the line is still open today for freight trains accessing open-pit mining sites in the area. The line between Newton-on-Ayr and the Maybole Junction is still used by passenger services as part of the Ayrshire Coast Line and Glasgow South Western Line.