1955 Alvis TC21 Grey Lady
Founded in 1919 by T G John, Alvis rapidly built a fine reputation and for five decades was to produce exceptionally high quality motor cars. Their products encompassed most categories from outright sports cars to stately saloons. The immortal 12/50 model of the 1920s and early 1930s remains one of the most loved motor cars of its period. During the post-war years, success was to continue with the TA14 – effectively an updated version of the pre-war 12/70 model. By 1950, this was finally superseded by the new 3-litre which debuted at the Geneva Motor Show that year. Initially launched as the TA21, this new car was available as a saloon or drophead coupé and a sports 2-seater was also available between 1950 and 1953, designated TB21. Between 1953 and 1955, another sporting model was listed, this being the TC21/100 ‘Grey Lady’. A particularly elegant motor car, most versions were fitted with wire wheels and sported twin air scoops on the bonnet. The twin carburettor engine developed 100bhp, sufficient to propel this high quality motor car to the then-magical 100mph, hence the designation TC21/100.