new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
All Photos Tagged pleiades:findspot=1306

Bronze horse blinker, decorated with "Master of Animals"

North Syrian, 9th c. BCE

From the the Temple of Apollo Daphnephoros, Eretria, Euboea.

 

This blinker (or blinder, or winker) bears an Aramaic inscription recording a dedication by one Hadad to "our Lord Hazael", who seized the Aramaean throne in 843/2 BCE. Its uninscribed twin remains in the Eretria Museum.

 

See:

- A. Charbonnet, 'Le dieu aux lions d'Eretrie,' AION ArchStAnt 8 (1986), 117-173

- F. Bron & A. Lemaire, 'Les inscriptions arameennes de Hazael,' RAssyr 183 (1989), 35-44.

 

Athens National Museum

inv. 15070