new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
View allAll Photos Tagged dehaar

Buy this photo on Getty Images : Getty Images

  

Castle De Haar is located near Haarzuilens, in the province of Utrecht in the Netherlands. The current buildings, except for the chapel, date from 1892 and are the work of Dutch architect P.J.H. Cuypers, in a Neo-Gothic restoration project funded by the Rothschild family.

  

Submitted: 02/09/2014

Accepted 27/09/2014

 

Published:

- (China) 23-Jan-2016

Buy this photo on Getty Images : Getty Images

 

Castle De Haar is located near Haarzuilens, in the province of Utrecht in the Netherlands. The current buildings, except for the chapel, date from 1892 and are the work of Dutch architect P.J.H. Cuypers, in a Neo-Gothic restoration project funded by the Rothschild family.

  

Submitted: 29/05/2015

Accepted: 18/06/2015

 

Published:

- Express Newspaper Ltd 17-Aug-2015

- Fairfax Group (Australia) 30-Nov-2015

Buy this photo on Getty Images : Getty Images

 

Castle De Haar is located near Haarzuilens, in the province of Utrecht in the Netherlands. The current buildings, except for the chapel, date from 1892 and are the work of Dutch architect P.J.H. Cuypers, in a Neo-Gothic restoration project funded by the Rothschild family.

 

Submitted 15/05/2015

Accepted 09/06/2015

 

Published:

- AOL - Photo (NEW YORK) 23-Aug-2016

Buy this photo on Getty Images : Getty Images

 

Castle De Haar is located near Haarzuilens, in the province of Utrecht in the Netherlands. The current buildings, except for the chapel, date from 1892 and are the work of Dutch architect P.J.H. Cuypers, in a Neo-Gothic restoration project funded by the Rothschild family.

 

Published:

- Union Advertising Agency Ltd (United Kingdom (Great Britain)) - 18 Feb 2015

Origins of De Haar Castle

 

The origins of De Haar Castle can be found in the Middle Ages. The medieval house was founded in the 14th century. In the 15th century the castle was destroyed and rebuilt with its still existing pentagonal floor plan. During the 18th and 19th centuries the castle was abandoned and fell to ruin.

The young owner baron Etienne van Zuylen van Nijevelt van de Haar acquired the ruin by inheritance in the late 19th century. He decided to rebuild and restore his ancestral home with grandeur. Baron Etienne gave the assignment to the famous Dutch architect Pierre Cuypers, who was well known for the construction and design of Amsterdam Central Station, the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam and more than 90 churches.

 

Restoration and Rebuilding

The enormous project started in 1892. The 15th century walls were restored and integrated in the new design. In less than 20 years the impressive building arose, complete with towers, moats, a drawbridge and more than 150 rooms. The new building was built in Neo-Gothic style which was very popular in the 19th century - inspired by the Middle Ages but with modern luxuries. A central heating system, a lift, a modern kitchen, hot and cold running water in most rooms and electrical lighting provided all the luxury the baron and his guests needed during their stays.

 

A "Gesamtkunstwerk"

The most remarkable aspect is that the castle was restored and rebuilt in a way unseen in Europe. The vision of Cuypers and Baron Etienne didn’t stop with the building itself but also included the interior design of the building, the surrounding gardens, the chapel and even the village of Haarzuilens. This “Gesamtkunstwerk” (integrated work of art) was a creation of a unique world.

 

The park and gardens

The gardens directly surrounding the castle were designed in the French Geometric style, like the gardens of Versailles. The rest of the 135-acre park was designed in the English Country Style with winding paths, fine vistas of the castle in the distance, bridges and beautiful, impressive trees.

 

The Chapel

The chapel was almost entirely gone when baron Etienne first arrived in the 1880s. Cuypers rebuilt the chapel based on the still visible floor plan and the remains of the wooden barrel vault.

 

The village of Haarzuilens

Untill 1892, the medieval village of Haarzuilens was situed more of less where the Roman Garden now lies. As the village didn't fit in the plans for the park and gardens, Baron Etienne decided to relocate the village and its inhabitants. An entirely new village was built on the outskirts of the park. The residents moved there in 1898, an occasion marked by great festivities.

 

source: Wikipedia

Buy this photo on Getty Images : Getty Images

 

Castle De Haar is located near Haarzuilens, in the province of Utrecht in the Netherlands. The current buildings, except for the chapel, date from 1892 and are the work of Dutch architect P.J.H. Cuypers, in a Neo-Gothic restoration project funded by the Rothschild family.

 

Submitted: 18/06/2015

Accepted : 04/07/2015

 

Published:

- Microsoft Multimedia Publishin (WASHINGTON) 16-Sep-2015

Castle De Haar is located near Haarzuilens, in the province of Utrecht in the Netherlands. The current buildings, except for the chapel, date from 1892 and are the work of Dutch architect P.J.H. Cuypers, in a Neo-Gothic restoration project funded by the Rothschild family.

Castle De Haar is one of the most famous and visited castles in all of Holland and was originally founded in the late 1300’s by the Van de Haar family, whose standing in society allowed them the comfort of building a fortified abode.

By 1449, the castle became the property of the Van Zuylen family thru marriage. In 1482, the castle was destroyed due to differences of opinion (quarrels) between the city of Utrecht and its bishop

  

By the 17th century, the Van Zuylen family line had become extinct and the castle was inherited by the Van Stembors, who originated from the south of Holland - present day Belgium. French soldiers attacked and damaged the castle during the years 1672 and 73.

  

In 1801, Castle De Haar passed to JJ.van Zuylen van Nijevelt, a distant cousin of the Zuylen family. JJ had inherited a castle that was in a poor state of repair due to 200 years of neglect. Upon his death, these magnificent ruins passed to his son Baron Etienne van Zuylen van Nijevelt in 1890.

  

The rebuilding of the castle was started in 1892 under the guidance of one of Holland’s most famous architects Dr PHJ Cuypers. It is his influence on Castle De Haar that we see today. PHJ Cuypers rebuilt the castle as close as possible to the original outlines and were there was not sufficient material to work with he used his own ideas of what a medieval castle should look like. The interior was rebuilt to a luxurious standard with the inclusion of electricity. A new bailey with an entrance gate was built on its original foundations.

  

Today the castle is surrounded by parkland but this was not always the case. From the medieval period to the end of the 19th century, the village of Haarzuilens had been surrounded the castle. Haarzuilens was completely demolished and relocated some one and a half kilometres away to the west. The village chapel however was saved from this wilful destruction and incorporated into the new park.

 

Castle De Haar is now a museum and opens to the public except during the month of September when the Van Zuylen van Nijevelt family turn it back into a home for their month long stay.

.

The adres for the car navigator, Kasteel de Haar,

Kasteellaan 1,3455 RR Haarzuilens.

  

Castle De Haar is one of the most famous and visited castles in all of Holland and was originally founded in the late 1300’s by the Van de Haar family, whose standing in society allowed them the comfort of building a fortified abode.

By 1449, the castle became the property of the Van Zuylen family thru marriage. In 1482, the castle was destroyed due to differences of opinion (quarrels) between the city of Utrecht and its bishop

 

By the 17th century, the Van Zuylen family line had become extinct and the castle was inherited by the Van Stembors, who originated from the south of Holland - present day Belgium. French soldiers attacked and damaged the castle during the years 1672 and 73.

 

In 1801, Castle De Haar passed to JJ.van Zuylen van Nijevelt, a distant cousin of the Zuylen family. JJ had inherited a castle that was in a poor state of repair due to 200 years of neglect. Upon his death, these magnificent ruins passed to his son Baron Etienne van Zuylen van Nijevelt in 1890.

 

The rebuilding of the castle was started in 1892 under the guidance of one of Holland’s most famous architects Dr PHJ Cuypers. It is his influence on Castle De Haar that we see today. PHJ Cuypers rebuilt the castle as close as possible to the original outlines and were there was not sufficient material to work with he used his own ideas of what a medieval castle should look like. The interior was rebuilt to a luxurious standard with the inclusion of electricity. A new bailey with an entrance gate was built on its original foundations.

 

Today the castle is surrounded by parkland but this was not always the case. From the medieval period to the end of the 19th century, the village of Haarzuilens had been surrounded the castle. Haarzuilens was completely demolished and relocated some one and a half kilometres away to the west. The village chapel however was saved from this wilful destruction and incorporated into the new park.

 

Castle De Haar is now a museum and opens to the public except during the month of September when the Van Zuylen van Nijevelt family turn it back into a home for their month long stay.

.

The adres for the car navigator, Kasteel de Haar,

Kasteellaan 1,3455 RR Haarzuilens.

 

better view or press L

  

Today the castle is surrounded by parkland but this was not always the case. From the medieval period to the end of the 19th century, the village of Haarzuilens had been surrounded the castle. Haarzuilens was completely demolished and relocated some one and a half kilometres away to the west. The village chapel however was saved from this wilful destruction and incorporated into the new park.

 

Castle De Haar is now a museum and opens to the public except during the month of September when the Van Zuylen van Nijevelt family turn it back into a home for their month long stay.

.

The adres for the car navigator, Kasteel de Haar,

Kasteellaan 1,3455 RR Haarzuilens.

Origins of De Haar Castle

 

The origins of De Haar Castle can be found in the Middle Ages. The medieval house was founded in the 14th century. In the 15th century the castle was destroyed and rebuilt with its still existing pentagonal floor plan. During the 18th and 19th centuries the castle was abandoned and fell to ruin.

The young owner baron Etienne van Zuylen van Nijevelt van de Haar acquired the ruin by inheritance in the late 19th century. He decided to rebuild and restore his ancestral home with grandeur. Baron Etienne gave the assignment to the famous Dutch architect Pierre Cuypers, who was well known for the construction and design of Amsterdam Central Station, the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam and more than 90 churches.

 

Restoration and Rebuilding

The enormous project started in 1892. The 15th century walls were restored and integrated in the new design. In less than 20 years the impressive building arose, complete with towers, moats, a drawbridge and more than 150 rooms. The new building was built in Neo-Gothic style which was very popular in the 19th century - inspired by the Middle Ages but with modern luxuries. A central heating system, a lift, a modern kitchen, hot and cold running water in most rooms and electrical lighting provided all the luxury the baron and his guests needed during their stays.

 

A "Gesamtkunstwerk"

The most remarkable aspect is that the castle was restored and rebuilt in a way unseen in Europe. The vision of Cuypers and Baron Etienne didn’t stop with the building itself but also included the interior design of the building, the surrounding gardens, the chapel and even the village of Haarzuilens. This “Gesamtkunstwerk” (integrated work of art) was a creation of a unique world.

 

The park and gardens

The gardens directly surrounding the castle were designed in the French Geometric style, like the gardens of Versailles. The rest of the 135-acre park was designed in the English Country Style with winding paths, fine vistas of the castle in the distance, bridges and beautiful, impressive trees.

 

The Chapel

The chapel was almost entirely gone when baron Etienne first arrived in the 1880s. Cuypers rebuilt the chapel based on the still visible floor plan and the remains of the wooden barrel vault.

 

The village of Haarzuilens

Untill 1892, the medieval village of Haarzuilens was situed more of less where the Roman Garden now lies. As the village didn't fit in the plans for the park and gardens, Baron Etienne decided to relocate the village and its inhabitants. An entirely new village was built on the outskirts of the park. The residents moved there in 1898, an occasion marked by great festivities.

 

source: Wikipedia

Buy this photo on Getty Images : Getty Images

 

Castle De Haar is located near Haarzuilens, in the province of Utrecht in the Netherlands. The current buildings, except for the chapel, date from 1892 and are the work of Dutch architect P.J.H. Cuypers, in a Neo-Gothic restoration project funded by the Rothschild family.

 

Submitted: 24/04/2016

Accepted: 05/05/2016

Castle De Haar is one of the most famous and visited castles in all of Holland and was originally founded in the late 1300’s by the Van de Haar family, whose standing in society allowed them the comfort of building a fortified abode.

By 1449, the castle became the property of the Van Zuylen family thru marriage. In 1482, the castle was destroyed due to differences of opinion (quarrels) between the city of Utrecht and its bishop

  

By the 17th century, the Van Zuylen family line had become extinct and the castle was inherited by the Van Stembors, who originated from the south of Holland - present day Belgium. French soldiers attacked and damaged the castle during the years 1672 and 73.

  

In 1801, Castle De Haar passed to JJ.van Zuylen van Nijevelt, a distant cousin of the Zuylen family. JJ had inherited a castle that was in a poor state of repair due to 200 years of neglect. Upon his death, these magnificent ruins passed to his son Baron Etienne van Zuylen van Nijevelt in 1890.

  

The rebuilding of the castle was started in 1892 under the guidance of one of Holland’s most famous architects Dr PHJ Cuypers. It is his influence on Castle De Haar that we see today. PHJ Cuypers rebuilt the castle as close as possible to the original outlines and were there was not sufficient material to work with he used his own ideas of what a medieval castle should look like. The interior was rebuilt to a luxurious standard with the inclusion of electricity. A new bailey with an entrance gate was built on its original foundations.

  

Today the castle is surrounded by parkland but this was not always the case. From the medieval period to the end of the 19th century, the village of Haarzuilens had been surrounded the castle. Haarzuilens was completely demolished and relocated some one and a half kilometres away to the west. The village chapel however was saved from this wilful destruction and incorporated into the new park.

 

Castle De Haar is now a museum and opens to the public except during the month of September when the Van Zuylen van Nijevelt family turn it back into a home for their month long stay.

.

The adres for the car navigator, Kasteel de Haar,

Kasteellaan 1,3455 RR Haarzuilens.

Castle De Haar is located near Haarzuilens, in the province of Utrecht in the Netherlands. The current buildings, except for the chapel, date from 1892 and are the work of Dutch architect P.J.H. Cuypers, in a Neo-Gothic restoration project funded by the Rothschild family.

Reflection of the De Haar Chateau in the moat surrounding the castle. Taken in April 2017

(ref S9900-1644)

Castle De Haar is one of the most famous and visited castles in all of Holland and was originally founded in the late 1300’s by the Van de Haar family, whose standing in society allowed them the comfort of building a fortified abode.

By 1449, the castle became the property of the Van Zuylen family thru marriage. In 1482, the castle was destroyed due to differences of opinion (quarrels) between the city of Utrecht and its bishop

  

By the 17th century, the Van Zuylen family line had become extinct and the castle was inherited by the Van Stembors, who originated from the south of Holland - present day Belgium. French soldiers attacked and damaged the castle during the years 1672 and 73.

  

In 1801, Castle De Haar passed to JJ.van Zuylen van Nijevelt, a distant cousin of the Zuylen family. JJ had inherited a castle that was in a poor state of repair due to 200 years of neglect. Upon his death, these magnificent ruins passed to his son Baron Etienne van Zuylen van Nijevelt in 1890.

  

The rebuilding of the castle was started in 1892 under the guidance of one of Holland’s most famous architects Dr PHJ Cuypers. It is his influence on Castle De Haar that we see today. PHJ Cuypers rebuilt the castle as close as possible to the original outlines and were there was not sufficient material to work with he used his own ideas of what a medieval castle should look like. The interior was rebuilt to a luxurious standard with the inclusion of electricity. A new bailey with an entrance gate was built on its original foundations.

  

Today the castle is surrounded by parkland but this was not always the case. From the medieval period to the end of the 19th century, the village of Haarzuilens had been surrounded the castle. Haarzuilens was completely demolished and relocated some one and a half kilometres away to the west. The village chapel however was saved from this wilful destruction and incorporated into the new park.

 

Castle De Haar is now a museum and opens to the public except during the month of September when the Van Zuylen van Nijevelt family turn it back into a home for their month long stay.

.

The adres for the car navigator, Kasteel de Haar,

Kasteellaan 1,3455 RR Haarzuilens

Origins of De Haar Castle

 

The origins of De Haar Castle can be found in the Middle Ages. The medieval house was founded in the 14th century. In the 15th century the castle was destroyed and rebuilt with its still existing pentagonal floor plan. During the 18th and 19th centuries the castle was abandoned and fell to ruin.

 

The young owner baron Etienne van Zuylen van Nijevelt van de Haar acquired the ruin by inheritance in the late 19th century. He decided to rebuild and restore his ancestral home with grandeur. Baron Etienne gave the assignment to the famous Dutch architect Pierre Cuypers, who was well known for the construction and design of Amsterdam Central Station, the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam and more than 90 churches.

  

Restoration and Rebuilding

 

The enormous project started in 1892. The 15th century walls were restored and integrated in the new design. In less than 20 years the impressive building arose, complete with towers, moats, a drawbridge and more than 150 rooms. The new building was built in Neo-Gothic style which was very popular in the 19th century - inspired by the Middle Ages but with modern luxuries. A central heating system, a lift, a modern kitchen, hot and cold running water in most rooms and electrical lighting provided all the luxury the baron and his guests needed during their stays.

Origins of De Haar Castle

 

The origins of De Haar Castle can be found in the Middle Ages. The medieval house was founded in the 14th century. In the 15th century the castle was destroyed and rebuilt with its still existing pentagonal floor plan. During the 18th and 19th centuries the castle was abandoned and fell to ruin.

 

The young owner baron Etienne van Zuylen van Nijevelt van de Haar acquired the ruin by inheritance in the late 19th century. He decided to rebuild and restore his ancestral home with grandeur. Baron Etienne gave the assignment to the famous Dutch architect Pierre Cuypers, who was well known for the construction and design of Amsterdam Central Station, the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam and more than 90 churches.

   

Restoration and Rebuilding

 

The enormous project started in 1892. The 15th century walls were restored and integrated in the new design. In less than 20 years the impressive building arose, complete with towers, moats, a drawbridge and more than 150 rooms. The new building was built in Neo-Gothic style which was very popular in the 19th century - inspired by the Middle Ages but with modern luxuries. A central heating system, a lift, a modern kitchen, hot and cold running water in most rooms and electrical lighting provided all the luxury the baron and his guests needed during their stays.

Origins of De Haar Castle

  

The origins of De Haar Castle can be found in the Middle Ages. The medieval house was founded in the 14th century. In the 15th century the castle was destroyed and rebuilt with its still existing pentagonal floor plan. During the 18th and 19th centuries the castle was abandoned and fell to ruin.

  

The young owner baron Etienne van Zuylen van Nijevelt van de Haar acquired the ruin by inheritance in the late 19th century. He decided to rebuild and restore his ancestral home with grandeur. Baron Etienne gave the assignment to the famous Dutch architect Pierre Cuypers, who was well known for the construction and design of Amsterdam Central Station, the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam and more than 90 churches.

   

Restoration and Rebuilding

  

The enormous project started in 1892. The 15th century walls were restored and integrated in the new design. In less than 20 years the impressive building arose, complete with towers, moats, a drawbridge and more than 150 rooms. The new building was built in Neo-Gothic style which was very popular in the 19th century - inspired by the Middle Ages but with modern luxuries. A central heating system, a lift, a modern kitchen, hot and cold running water in most rooms and electrical lighting provided all the luxury the baron and his guests needed during their stays.

 

Castle De Haar is located near Haarzuilens, in the province of Utrecht in the Netherlands. The current buildings, except for the chapel, date from 1892 and are the work of Dutch architect P.J.H. Cuypers.

 

The oldest historical record of a building at the location of the current castle dates to 1391. In that year, the family De Haar received the castle and the surrounding lands as fiefdom from Hendrik van Woerden. The castle remained in the ownership of the De Haar family until 1440, when the last male heir died childless. The castle then passed to the Van Zuylen family. In 1482, the castle was burned down and the walls were torn down, except for the parts that did not have a military function. These parts probably were incorporated into the castle when it was rebuilt during the early 16th century. The castle is mentioned in an inventory of the possessions of Steven van Zuylen from 1506, and again in a list of fiefdoms in the province Utrecht from 1536. The oldest image of the castle dates to 1554 and shows that the castle had been largely rebuilt by then. After 1641, when Johan van Zuylen van der Haar died childless, the castle seems to have gradually fallen into ruins. The castle escaped from total destruction by the French during the Rampjaar 1672. In 1890, De Haar was inherited by Etienne Gustave Frédéric, Baron van Zuylen van Nyevelt, who was married to Hélène Caroline Betsy, Baroness de Rothschild. They contracted architect Pierre Cuypers in 1892 to rebuild the ruinous castle, which took 15 years.

In 2000, the family Van Zuylen van Nyevelt passed ownership of the castle and the gardens (45 ha) to the foundation Kasteel de Haar. However, the family retains the right to spend one month per year in the castle. In the same year, the Dutch society Natuurmonumenten bought the surrounding estate of 400 ha. An extensive restoration programme of the castle and the gardens was initiated in 2001 and is projected to be finished in 2010.

  

Take some time and check my other shots here:

Darckr (click)

 

De Haar Castle (Dutch: Kasteel de Haar) is located near Haarzuilens, in the province of Utrecht. The current buildings, all built upon the original castle from 1392, date from 1892 and are the work of Dutch architect P.J.H. Cuypers, in a Neo-Gothic restoration project funded by the Rothschild family.

 

see also my blog: pienw.blogspot.nl/2016/03/kasteel-de-haar.html

De Haar Castle is the biggest and most fairytale-like castle in The Netherlands. With its towers, turrets, moats, gates and suspension bridges it resembles a true medieval castle.

 

Voor de Nederlanders: dit kasteel vormt de achtergrond van de diverse TV-spotjes van de ING Bank, voorheen Postbank.

Castle De Haar is one of the most famous and visited castles in all of Holland and was originally founded in the late 1300’s by the Van de Haar family, whose standing in society allowed them the comfort of building a fortified abode.

By 1449, the castle became the property of the Van Zuylen family thru marriage. In 1482, the castle was destroyed due to differences of opinion (quarrels) between the city of Utrecht and its bishop

  

By the 17th century, the Van Zuylen family line had become extinct and the castle was inherited by the Van Stembors, who originated from the south of Holland - present day Belgium. French soldiers attacked and damaged the castle during the years 1672 and 73.

  

In 1801, Castle De Haar passed to JJ.van Zuylen van Nijevelt, a distant cousin of the Zuylen family. JJ had inherited a castle that was in a poor state of repair due to 200 years of neglect. Upon his death, these magnificent ruins passed to his son Baron Etienne van Zuylen van Nijevelt in 1890.

  

The rebuilding of the castle was started in 1892 under the guidance of one of Holland’s most famous architects Dr PHJ Cuypers. It is his influence on Castle De Haar that we see today. PHJ Cuypers rebuilt the castle as close as possible to the original outlines and were there was not sufficient material to work with he used his own ideas of what a medieval castle should look like. The interior was rebuilt to a luxurious standard with the inclusion of electricity. A new bailey with an entrance gate was built on its original foundations.

  

Today the castle is surrounded by parkland but this was not always the case. From the medieval period to the end of the 19th century, the village of Haarzuilens had been surrounded the castle. Haarzuilens was completely demolished and relocated some one and a half kilometres away to the west. The village chapel however was saved from this wilful destruction and incorporated into the new park.

 

Castle De Haar is now a museum and opens to the public except during the month of September when the Van Zuylen van Nijevelt family turn it back into a home for their month long stay.

.

The adres for the car navigator, Kasteel de Haar,

Kasteellaan 1,3455 RR Haarzuilens.

Castle De Haar is located near Haarzuilens, in the province of Utrecht in the Netherlands. The current buildings, except for the chapel, date from 1892 and are the work of Dutch architect P.J.H. Cuypers, in a Neo-Gothic restoration project funded by the Rothschild family.

Castle De Haar is one of the most famous and visited castles in all of Holland and was originally founded in the late 1300’s by the Van de Haar family, whose standing in society allowed them the comfort of building a fortified abode.

By 1449, the castle became the property of the Van Zuylen family thru marriage. In 1482, the castle was destroyed due to differences of opinion (quarrels) between the city of Utrecht and its bishop

  

By the 17th century, the Van Zuylen family line had become extinct and the castle was inherited by the Van Stembors, who originated from the south of Holland - present day Belgium. French soldiers attacked and damaged the castle during the years 1672 and 73.

  

In 1801, Castle De Haar passed to JJ.van Zuylen van Nijevelt, a distant cousin of the Zuylen family. JJ had inherited a castle that was in a poor state of repair due to 200 years of neglect. Upon his death, these magnificent ruins passed to his son Baron Etienne van Zuylen van Nijevelt in 1890.

  

The rebuilding of the castle was started in 1892 under the guidance of one of Holland’s most famous architects Dr PHJ Cuypers. It is his influence on Castle De Haar that we see today. PHJ Cuypers rebuilt the castle as close as possible to the original outlines and were there was not sufficient material to work with he used his own ideas of what a medieval castle should look like. The interior was rebuilt to a luxurious standard with the inclusion of electricity. A new bailey with an entrance gate was built on its original foundations.

  

Today the castle is surrounded by parkland but this was not always the case. From the medieval period to the end of the 19th century, the village of Haarzuilens had been surrounded the castle. Haarzuilens was completely demolished and relocated some one and a half kilometres away to the west. The village chapel however was saved from this wilful destruction and incorporated into the new park.

 

Castle De Haar is now a museum and opens to the public except during the month of September when the Van Zuylen van Nijevelt family turn it back into a home for their month long stay.

.

The adres for the car navigator, Kasteel de Haar,

Kasteellaan 1,3455 RR Haarzuilens.

Kasteel de Haar, Haarzuilens, Provincie Utrecht

Castle De Haar is one of the most famous and visited castles in all of Holland and was originally founded in the late 1300’s by the Van de Haar family, whose standing in society allowed them the comfort of building a fortified abode.

By 1449, the castle became the property of the Van Zuylen family thru marriage. In 1482, the castle was destroyed due to differences of opinion (quarrels) between the city of Utrecht and its bishop

  

By the 17th century, the Van Zuylen family line had become extinct and the castle was inherited by the Van Stembors, who originated from the south of Holland - present day Belgium. French soldiers attacked and damaged the castle during the years 1672 and 73.

  

In 1801, Castle De Haar passed to JJ.van Zuylen van Nijevelt, a distant cousin of the Zuylen family. JJ had inherited a castle that was in a poor state of repair due to 200 years of neglect. Upon his death, these magnificent ruins passed to his son Baron Etienne van Zuylen van Nijevelt in 1890.

  

The rebuilding of the castle was started in 1892 under the guidance of one of Holland’s most famous architects Dr PHJ Cuypers. It is his influence on Castle De Haar that we see today. PHJ Cuypers rebuilt the castle as close as possible to the original outlines and were there was not sufficient material to work with he used his own ideas of what a medieval castle should look like. The interior was rebuilt to a luxurious standard with the inclusion of electricity. A new bailey with an entrance gate was built on its original foundations.

  

Today the castle is surrounded by parkland but this was not always the case. From the medieval period to the end of the 19th century, the village of Haarzuilens had been surrounded the castle. Haarzuilens was completely demolished and relocated some one and a half kilometres away to the west. The village chapel however was saved from this wilful destruction and incorporated into the new park.

 

Castle De Haar is now a museum and opens to the public except during the month of September when the Van Zuylen van Nijevelt family turn it back into a home for their month long stay.

.

The adres for the car navigator, Kasteel de Haar,

Kasteellaan 1,3455 RR Haarzuilens.

1 3 4 5 6 7 ••• 79 80