View allAll Photos Tagged creditpennstateuniversityarchives
The Allen Street Gates on the campus of Penn State. The road through campus was closed in 1924.
One of the many exhibit photographs displayed in Pattee Library's Sidewater Commons is this winter photograph of the “new” Pattee Library shortly after construction was completed in 1940, when the Pattee mall area was still open to cars and its majestic elm trees were still abundant, only in their fourth decade of growth.
Joseph Garratti, an assistant to sculptor Heinz Warneke, roughed out the front leg of the Nittany Lion Shrine during creation of the limestone sculpture. Warneke and his crew of artists completed the sculpture in early October of 1942 and it was formally dedicated on October 24 of the same year and presented to Penn State by the class of 1940. The 2012 Senior Class Gift will add enhancements to the shrine location including historical displays, improved lighting and ADA accessibility.
The front of Old Main in the 1930s after an American Elm was planted on the left-hand side of the building. Additional photos and information on this tree's planting are available at lorax.opp.psu.edu/archive/OldMainElms.htm
A truck delivers an American Elm to the front of Old Main in preparation for the tree's planting in the 1930s. Additional photos and information on this tree's planting are available at lorax.opp.psu.edu/archive/OldMainElms.htm
'The Corner' in downtown State College circa 1895. Located directly across College Avenue from Penn State's main gate and known then as The Nittany Inn, the location was a popular gathering spot for the students,staff and faculty at the relatively new Penn State College.
Old Botany Building is pictured in the background during a 1941 snowstorm. During this time, Old Botany was occupied by the Penn State ROTC.
This photograph, taken around the turn of the last century, shows the meticulously laid-out botanical gardens that once graced Old Botany Building's front yard. Behind the building is the row of pine trees which lined a trail known as the "ghost walk."
Vance Packard: The signing photo is dated April 19, 1958, taken at the Pennsylvania Book Shop, 129 East Beaver Avenue. The man who is standing on the left of Packard is Sam Murray, the publisher's rep from Anchor Books.
A back view of the Old Botany Building and its greenhouses shows the power plant for the buildings (left). At far left is a corner of Walker Lab; to the right of center, the original Old Main, as it appeared before its reconstruction. Taken from the present site of Sparks Building, this picture was in the college's 1894 annual report.
Students, circa 1913, depart from morning chapel services, held daily at Schwab Auditorium, and proceed to Ag Hill for classes. Left is Walker Laboratory, first home to Penn State's Departments of Chemistry and Physics. Built in 1890, Walker Lab stood on the current site of Davey Laboratory. Center is the original Old Main. To the right of Old Main is the Ladies Cottage, dedicated in 1909. By 1913 it was home to 16 coeds and the Dean of Women Sara Cutts Lovejoy.
Prior to 1940 Allen Street continued through Penn State's main gate at the intersection of College Ave. Today, an iron gate and sidewalks replace the original street. This photo of the main gates and Allen Street running through the University Park campus was taken circa. 1924.