new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
View allAll Photos Tagged San Angelo Sheep

Great nephew and niece with one of the San Angelo Sheep.

Had a shoot with a model while I was home visiting in San Angelo, TX. It was such a fun and productive shoot!

Samantha is still a newbie, but she was such a PRO! by the looks of her portfolio, you would think that she was :)



Psalm 100:3-5 (NIV)

3.Know that the LORD Himself is God; It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture. 4.Enter His gates with thanksgiving And His courts with praise. Give thanks to Him, bless His name. 5.For the LORD is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting And His faithfulness to all generations.


Settlement of this area began in the 1860s and increased in the 1870s and 1880s following the establishment of Fort Concho in nearby San Angelo. The town of Christoval began to develop by 1885. The South Concho Baptist congregation was organized in 1889 with four charter members. The Rev. T. R. Leggett served as first pastor, and the congregation met in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, built by a group of citizens and used as a Union Church. Located on a hill on the corner of present Church St and Rudd, the Union Church was the site of regular worship services, with various clergy officiating. The name of the South Concho Baptist congregation was changed to Christoval Baptist Church in 1906. Four years later the membership voted to build its own facility, and an octagonal wooden tabernacle was erected. In 1911, the first annual summer Christoval Baptist encampment was held on the banks of the South Concho River. A new church building was dedicated in 1925 during the August camp meeting. Due to the financial strains of the Depression, the campground was sold in 1932. This church remains an important part of the Christoval community.

On the way up the Monte San Angelo in South Italy

Paint Rock, Texas


Kay Campbell, and her husband Fred, are the owners of the Paint Rock pictograph historic site. Her grandfather,Dunlap Edward (D.E.) Sims, settled the land in the 1870s after searching for land with Native American significance. When he bought the property on the north side of the Concho River, the pictographs had already been defaced by European Americans. He bought the place to protect this historical site.


Kay, a retired school teacher, was our tour guide for the day. She provided a wealth of background information at the visitors center prior to the tour of the cliffs. Because of her wealth of knowledge and the format she chooses to present the information, we tourists were well prepared to deeply appreciate the historical significance of the Paint Rock pictographs.


If you plan on visiting Paint Rock, call ahead to make reservations.


From Go San Angelo Standard Times


D. E. and Ella Le Compte Sims had five children: Orland, Dunlap "Dunny", William and Benjamin. The fifth son, Walter, was killed at age 14. Benjamin Victor "Ben" Sims married Ellen Hartgrove, a member of another Concho County pioneer family. They had four children: Dunlap "Dunny" Sims, Ben Sims, Former state Sen. William "Bill" Sims, and Cora Ellen "Kay" Sims Campbell.


Benjamin Sims developed bad health and died in January 1953, 13 years after their wedding. Ellen's mother, Cora McKinney Hartgrove, moved in to help with the children. "Aunt Ellen," as she was known by everyone in the community, started running the ranch with the advice of her father-in-law, D.E. Sims, until her children were big enough to help.


Fred and Kay Campbell have two sons: Scott Campbell of Austin and Bill Campbell of Eden. They have three grandchildren.


Sims/Campbell Ranch


Founded: In 1879, by Dunlap Edward "D. E." Sims.

Owners: Fred and Cora Ellen "Kay" Sims Campbell.

Location: One mile north of Paint Rock, 30 miles east of San Angelo.

Livestock: Rambouillet sheep and Angora goats

Yarn spinning bench.


Up against a brick wall

This lion is like the sheep we have in San Angelo. These could be purchased and painted to help a local orphanage.

San Angelo Sheep

Fuentes Cafe Downtown

Identifier: bookoftexa00bene

Title: Book of Texas

Year: 1916 (1910s)

Authors: Benedict, Harry Yandell, 1869-1937 Lomax, John A. (John Avery), 1867-1948

Subjects: Texas Texas -- Economic conditions

Publisher: Garden City, N.Y. : Doubleday, Page

Contributing Library: Houston Public Library

Digitizing Sponsor: LYRASIS Members and Sloan Foundation


View Book Page: Book Viewer

About This Book: Catalog Entry

View All Images: All Images From Book


Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.


Text Appearing Before Image:


Text Appearing After Image:

FROM HORSES TO BEES 195 only one ranch or farm in sixty possessing any sheep. ValVerde, with 100,000, is the leading sheep county, whileSan Angelo is the greatest wool market, handling nearlyhalf of the clip. Enormous individual sales to Boston woolmen are made at San Angelo, at Kerrville, and at San An-tonio. But little attention is paid to mutton, for which,however, there is a good demand, emphasis being placedalmost exclusively on wool. In breeding up the rangesheep, rams of the wool-producing breeds have been mostlysought. The Merino is the foundation of the Westerngraded sheep, but Shropshires, Rambouillets, Lincolns, andthe curly fleeced Karakule from Asia, along with manyothers, are being used to grade up. Mr. Alex. Albright ofDundee thinks that his Karalinc, a combination of thetwo last-mentioned breeds, is going to be hardy and produceboth wool and mutton well. The heaviest clip in Texas was over eighteen millionpounds in 1889. The reduction of the tariff on wool causedthe an


Note About Images

Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability - coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.

Lucky Ewe

San Angelo

Tom Green County, Texas

31 27.671' N 100 26.180' W


Artist: Amber Alexander

Date: 2007


Spanish explorers introduced sheep to the Soutwest in the 1500s, and Spanish missions depended on the animals for food and clothing. The first Angora goats, known for the beauty and strength of their mohair, were brought to Texas in 1853 by Col. W. W. Haupt. Pioneer of modern sheep ranching in Texas from 1857 to 1867 was George Wilkins Kendall, who encouraged others with glowing reports of the industry's future while improving his own flocks. Kendall was one of the first to crossbreed the coarse--wooled Mexican churro sheep with the fine-wooled merino variety brought by European settlers.

The land, climate, and vegetation of the Edwards Plateau area especially suited the raising of sheep and goats. After 1870, with new markets and abundant land, the industry boomed. Ranchers fought disease, predators, deadly plants, and drouths to build their flocks. Today Texas is the leading producer of sheep and goats in the nation, and San Angelo is the major market center for these animals and their wool. Research facilities such as the San Angelo Research and Extension Center, built in 1969 through the efforts of Gen. Earl Rudder, then president of the Texas A&M System, work for the industry's continued prosperity. (1974) (Marker No. 4664)

San Angelo has random painted sheep throughout the downtown area... this is one of them.

San Angelo has random painted sheep throughout the downtown area... this is one of them.

San Angelo has random painted sheep throughout the downtown area... this is one of them.

San Angelo has random painted sheep throughout the downtown area... this is one of them.

Someone kept on removing the N on the Assn., which we found hilarious.

When Ewe R Hungry

San Angelo

Tom Green County, Texas

31 27.555' N 100 26.814' W


Artist: Suzanne McGee


San Angelo has random painted sheep throughout the downtown area... this is one of them.

1 3