new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
View allAll Photos Tagged Guerre+Mondiale

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

Inside view of the exterior (!) of the Mémorial 14-18 visitors centre at Notre Dame de Lorette (a museum for the First World War).

 

If you are unfamiliar with Notre Dame de Lorette, that is the biggest French war cemetery from the First World War - the last resting place for 44 833 soldiers.

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

At the Canadian National Vimy Memorial - including both this monument and a park with remains of the battlefield of Vimy Ridge, with trenches and the disrupted earth showing how the landscape looked not just here but along most of the Western front after the war.

 

The battle of Vimy Ridge was between Commonwealth troops (4 Canadian division and one British) and German forces on 9 to 12 April 1917 as part of the Battle of Arras. The Commonwealth had 170 000 men there, 3 598 died and 7 004 were wounded. It is not known how many of the Germans that were killed or wounded. (The memorial area also includes several Commonwealth war cemeteries.)

 

This monument commemorates not only the Canadians who died here, but all Canadians with no known grave from the First World War, all in all 11 169. The land was given to Canada by France in 1922 and work began in 1924 after a design by Walter Seymour Allward. It was officially unveiled in 1936 by king Edward VII.

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

Entrance from the road on the one side of this colonnade, the cemetery to the other - the names of the soldiers buried in the cemetery on the pillars.

 

Henri-Chapelle war cemetery has 7,992 America burials (of which 554 are unknown) from the second world war. The place was designed by the Chicago firm Holabird, Root and Burgee and the landscaping was made by Franz Lipp. It was inaugurated in 1945.

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

The French national monument over the Second battle of the Marne, in July 1918, in the First World War, made by the artist Paul Landowski, who also fought in the war. He began the work in 1919 but it wasn't until 1925 the three parts of the monument were erected here, on a place chosen by war veterans.

 

The parts are La France at the front, by the road going past, the four steps in the ground, symbolizing the four years of the war, and then the group Les Fantômes, depicting 8 men, with eyes closed.

En France sur Le Cher. Appelé aussi le château des Dames car seules des femmes en furent propriétaires. Le sang n'y coula jamais. Durant la première guerre mondiale la grande galerie servit pourtant d' hôpital où furent soignés des centaines de blessés.

 

Agrandissez avec L et F11 svp. Merci

 

In France on Le Cher river. Also called the Castle of the Ladies because only women were owners. The blood never flowed there. During the First World War the large gallery served as a hospital where hundreds of wounded were treated.

 

Please enlarge widely with L and F11

 

Aimez vous les châteaux de la Loire...? C'est là :

Do you like Loire castels ?

www.flickr.com/photos/thierrysugar/albums/72157673514408023

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

This commonwealth cemetery in Arras contains around 2 650 graves, and commemorates some 34 700 missing soldiers who were lost in the area around Arras, between the spring of 1917 and the autumn of 1918.

 

The cemetery and memorial were designed by Sir Edward Lutyens and was unveiled in 1932.

 

This cemetery also includes a memorial over the 1000 airmen of the Commonwealth who died in the war (that's the thing in the middle of the shot).

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

At St. Symphorien military cemetery from the First World War.

 

This cemetery was initially founded by the German army, for the German and British men who were killed at the Battle of Mons (August 1914). This was the condition of the original landowner, Jean Houzeau de Lehaie, that the Commonwealth soldiers should be treated with the same respect as the Germans. The cemetery was inaugurated in 1917, but also includes graves from the last days of the war - which is why the cemetery have the graves both of what is believed to be the first British soldier killed in the war (private John Parr) and the last (George Ellison and George Price, a Canadian). After the armistice the cemetery was turned over to the Commonwealth Grave Cemetery Commission.

 

The cemetery includes 229 Commonwealth burials, and 284 German. Of this total 105 remain unidentified.

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

The chapel at the war cemetery of the same name - the biggest French war cemetery from the First World War. Here rests the remains of 44 833 soldiers. Some 20 000 of them have individual graves.

 

The chapel, built as a Byzantine basilica, is 46 metres long and the work of Louis Marie Cordonnier (his other work includes the Basilica of Saint Thérèse of Lisiuex, www.flickr.com/photos/dameboudicca/14856463348 ). It was inaugurated in 1925 and blessed in 1927 by the bishop Eugène Julien. After his death in 1930 the bishop was buried in the chapel, after his own request.

Memorial to the foresters (Boswachtersmonument in Dutch) (Uccle). This monument, consisting of a dolmen surrounded by a circle of eleven standing stones, was erected in 1920 in memory of eleven forest rangers killed in the First World War.

 

Mémorial aux forestiers (Boswachtersmonument en néerlandais) (Uccle). Ce monument, composé d’un dolmen entouré d’un cercle de onze pierres dressées a été érigé en 1920 en souvenir de onze gardes forestiers tués lors de la Première Guerre mondiale.

 

More info bel-memorial.org/cities/bruxelles-brussel/uccle/uccle_mon... (french only

Ein Tag mit einer besonderen Geschichte. Vor 75 Jahren, am 8. Mai kapitulierte die deutsche Wehrmacht, das heißt der 2. Weltkrieg war offiziell beendet. Kriegsende und gleichzeitig ein Tag der Befreiung vom Nationalsozialismus in Deutschland und Europa. Wir als die Nachfolgegeneration haben die Verpflichtung ein erstarken des Nationalismusses zu verhindern und die Einnerung an die Greueltaten wach zuhalten. Die Rechten, ein harmloser Begriff, dürfen nie wieder, in keinem Land in Europa und der Welt, Macht erhalten.

Unsere Verpflichting unser Erbe, das wir annehmen und danach handeln müssen.

Ich wünsche Euch ein gutes und entspanntes Wochenende, liebe Freunde. seid achtsam und bleibt gesund.

Bitte verwenden Sie keines meiner Fotos,ohne meine schriftliche Zustimmung.Sie sind ©Copyright geschützt

Sie erreichen mich unter meiner Flickr emailadresse,Danke.

 

A day with a special story. 75 years ago, on May 8th, the German Wehrmacht capitulated, i.e. World War II was officially ended. The end of the war and at the same time a day of liberation from National Socialism in Germany and Europe. We as the successor generation have the obligation to prevent a strengthening of nationalism and to keep the memory of the atrocities alive. The right, a harmless term, must never again be allowed to gain power in any country in Europe or the world.

Our commitment our heritage, which we must accept and act upon.

I wish you a good and relaxing weekend, dear friends. Be careful and stay healthy.

 

Please do not use any of my photos without my written permission. they are ©Copyright protected

You can reach me at my Flickr email address, thanks.

 

Une journée avec une histoire spéciale. Il y a 75 ans, le 8 mai, la Wehrmacht allemande a capitulé, c'est-à-dire que la Seconde Guerre mondiale a été officiellement terminée. La fin de la guerre et en même temps un jour de libération du national-socialisme en Allemagne et en Europe. En tant que génération de successeurs, nous avons l'obligation d'empêcher un renforcement du nationalisme et de garder le souvenir des atrocités. Le droit, terme inoffensif, ne doit plus jamais être autorisé à prendre le pouvoir dans aucun pays d'Europe ou du monde.

Notre engagement : notre héritage, que nous devons accepter et sur lequel nous devons agir.

Je vous souhaite un bon week-end de détente, chers amis. Soyez prudents et restez en bonne santé.

 

Veuillez ne pas utiliser mes photos sans mon autorisation écrite. Elles sont protégées par le droit d'auteur.

Vous pouvez me joindre à mon adresse électronique Flickr, merci.

   

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

The chapel at the war cemetery of the same name - the biggest French war cemetery from the First World War. Here rests the remains of 44 833 soldiers. Some 20 000 of them have individual graves. The tower to the far left is an ossuary, containing some of those now not resting under the rows and rows and rows and rows of crosses.

 

The chapel, built as a Byzantine basilica, is 46 metres long and the work of Louis Marie Cordonnier (his other work includes the Basilica of Saint Thérèse of Lisiuex). It was inaugurated in 1925 and blessed in 1927 by the bishop Eugène Julien. After his death in 1930 the bishop was buried in the chapel, after his own request.

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

A class of Canadian students commemorating fallen soldiers from the First World War (including at least one that was an alumnus from that school back in the day - I'm not psychic, I looked at the wreath they left behind).

 

At the Canadian National Vimy Memorial - including both this monument and a park with remains of the battlefield of Vimy Ridge, with trenches and the disrupted earth showing how the landscape looked not just here but along most of the Western front after the war.

 

The battle of Vimy Ridge was between Commonwealth troops (4 Canadian division and one British) and German forces on 9 to 12 April 1917 as part of the Battle of Arras. The Commonwealth had 170 000 men there, 3 598 died and 7 004 were wounded. It is not known how many of the Germans that were killed or wounded. (The memorial area also includes several Commonwealth war cemeteries.)

 

This monument commemorates not only the Canadians who died here, but all Canadians with no known grave from the First World War, all in all 11 169. The land was given to Canada by France in 1922 and work began in 1924 after a design by Walter Seymour Allward. It was officially unveiled in 1936 by king Edward VII.

.

Lundi 10 octobre [1580]… Nous arrivâmes sur les trois heures après-midi à Lindau, trois lieues, petite ville assise a cent pas en avant dans le lac [de Constance, Bodensee], lesquels cent pas on passe par un pont de pierre. Il n’y a que cette entrée, tout le reste de la ville étant entourée de ce lac. Nous fumes voir l’église catholique, bâtie en l’an 866, où toutes choses sont en leur entier…

 

Michel de Montaigne (Fr., 1533-1592), Journal de voyage, 1580-1581 (édition de Fausta Garavini - 1983). La traversée de l’Allemagne par le lac de Constance.

 

*

 

Lunes 10 de octubre [1580]… A eso de las tres de la tarde llegamos à Lindau, tres leguas, villa situada a cien pasos dentro del lago [de Constanza, Bodensee], cien pasos que se andan por un puente de piedra. No hay otra entrada ya que todo el resto de la ciudad está rodeada por dicho lago. Nos fuimos directos a la iglesia católica, edificada en el año 866, en la que todo está entero y en su sitio….

 

Michel de Montaigne (Fr., 1533-1592), Diario de viaje, 1580-1581 (edición de Fausta Garavini - 1983). La travesía de Alemania por el lago de Constanza.

 

*

 

Photo : La route de Montaigne (Troisième étape en Allemagne. Lindau, Lac de Constance, St. Peterskirche, église St-Pierre, la plus vieille église de la ville, Xème siècle, transformée en monument aux victimes de la première guerre mondiale ; elle héberge une fresque originale de Hans Holbein l’Ancien, XVème siècle).

 

Foto: La ruta de Montaigne (Tercera etapa en Alemania, Lindau, lago de Constanza, St. Peterskirche, iglesia de San Pedro, la iglesia más antigua de la villa, siglo X, transformada en monumento a las víctimas de la primera guerra mundial, alberga un fresco original de Hans Holbein el Viejo, siglo XV).

The Mirabeau bridge spans the Durance river at the edge of 4 departments: Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Bouches-du-Rhône, Var and Vaucluse. It is an ancient crossing point which has given rise to many constructions since the 15th century.

We can notably see 2 pillars vestiges of a first suspension bridge built in 1835 and destroyed during the First World War.

A new 175m suspension bridge with a single span replaced it in 1935. During the 2nd World War, this bridge was bombarded without success for 3 days by Allied aviation in August 1944 which wanted to delay the retreat of the German tanks. The resistance fighters finally blew it up on August 17, 1944.

The suspension bridge was rebuilt in 1947, and will be replaced by the current bridge in 1990.

 

___________________________

Le pont de Mirabeau

 

Le pont de Mirabeau enjambe la Durance en bordure de 4 départements : Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Bouches-du-Rhône, Var et Vaucluse. C'est un point de passage ancien qui a donné lieu à de nombreux ouvrages depuis le 15ème siècle.

On peut notamment voir 2 piliers vestiges d'un premier pont suspendu construit en 1835 et détruit pendant la première guerre mondiale.

Un nouveau pont suspendu de 175 m d'une travée unique l'avait remplacé en 1935. Durant la 2ème guerre mondiale, ce pont sera bombardé sans succès pendant 3 jours par l'aviation alliée en août 1944 qui voulait retarder la retraite des chars allemands. Les résistants le feront finalement sauter le 17 août 1944.

Le pont suspendu est reconstruit en 1947, et sera remplacé en 1990 par le pont actuel.

  

____________________________

Mirabeau - Provence - France

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

This is the memorial at Notre-Dame-de-Lorette, commemorating the 576,606 soldiers that were killed in this part of France, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, during the First World War. Here are all the names, in alphabetic order, ignoring all ranks and nationality (the first World War One memorial to do this). The memorial is called L'Anneau de la mémoire, which means The Ring of memory, and is shaped as an ellipse. It was made by the artist Philippe Prost and inaugurated in 2014, on November 11th. There are 499, 3 metre metal panels with names, each panel showing some 1 200 names. The last panel, number 500, is left empty so new names can be added if any more are found.

The large lighthouse of the island of Sein was built between 1950 and 1951. It succeeds a first lighthouse built on the island of Sein in 1839 but destroyed in 1944 during the Second World War.

#######################

En arrière plan :Le grand phare de l'île de Sein a été construit entre 1950 et 1951. Il succède à un premier phare construit sur l'île de Sein en 1839 mais détruit en 1944 lors de la Seconde Guerre mondiale.

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

This is the memorial at Notre-Dame-de-Lorette, commemorating the 576,606 soldiers that were killed in this part of France, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, during the First World War. Here are all the names, in alphabetic order, ignoring all ranks and nationality (the first World War One memorial to do this). The memorial is called L'Anneau de la mémoire, which means The Ring of memory, and is shaped as an ellipse. It was made by the artist Philippe Prost and inaugurated in 2014, on November 11th. There are 499, 3 metre metal panels with names, each panel showing some 1 200 names. The last panel, number 500, is left empty so new names can be added if any more are found.

 

(People included for scale.)

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

The Cabaret Rouge cemetery - the final resting place of 7 600 British Commonwealth soldiers who died in the First World War (just one cemetery of so many in this part of Europe). Half of those soldiers are unknown...

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

Entrance from the road to the left of this colonnade, the cemetery to the right - the names of the soldiers buried in the cemetery on the pillars.

 

Henri-Chapelle war cemetery has 7,992 America burials (of which 554 are unknown) from the second world war. The place was designed by the Chicago firm Holabird, Root and Burgee and the landscaping was made by Franz Lipp. It was inaugurated in 1945.

j' ai fait une série de photos de cette église qui a été bombardée pendant la dernière guerre mondiale , elle est restée dans le même état , pour le souvenir

 

I made a series of pictures of this church that was bombed during the last world war, it remained in the same state, for the memory

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

An earlier version of the same motif (but not in the same weather) can be found here: www.flickr.com/photos/dameboudicca/15389823002

 

The name of this scultpure at the Vimy monument is 'Canada bereft' (or Mother Canada, she represents the country of Canada mourning her dead). She is the only figure carved from a single block on the monument, a block that weighed 30 tonne. She is also the largest figure on the monument.

 

At the Canadian National Vimy Memorial - including both this monument and a park with remains of the battlefield of Vimy Ridge, with trenches and the disrupted earth showing how the landscape looked not just here but along most of the Western front after the war.

 

The battle of Vimy Ridge was between Commonwealth troops (4 Canadian division and one British) and German forces on 9 to 12 April 1917 as part of the Battle of Arras. The Commonwealth had 170 000 men there, 3 598 died and 7 004 were wounded. It is not known how many of the Germans that were killed or wounded. (The memorial area also includes several Commonwealth war cemeteries.)

 

This monument commemorates not only the Canadians who died here, but all Canadians with no known grave from the First World War, all in all 11 169. The land was given to Canada by France in 1922 and work began in 1924 after a design by Walter Seymour Allward. It was officially unveiled in 1936 by king Edward VII.

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

Fauberg d'Amiens cemetery and memorial (III)

 

This commonwealth cemetery in Arras contains around 2 650 graves, and commemorates some 34 700 missing soldiers who were lost in the area around Arras, between the spring of 1917 and the autumn of 1918.

 

The cemetery and memorial were designed by Sir Edward Lutyens and was unveiled in 1932.

 

This cemetery also includes a memorial over the 1000 airmen of the Commonwealth who died in the war.

During the 1st World War, terrible battles took place here, we were on the front line.

The Munster and Linge region was bloodied in September 1914 by violent clashes between the French and German armies.

Then, the battle of the Linge was one of the deadliest on the Vosges front.

From July 20, 1915 to October 16, 1915, more than 17,000 young soldiers died on the three peaks of the Linge, the Schratzmaennele, and the Barrenkopf.

Many vestiges, blockhouses in particular, remain from this battle, a memory circuit allows to discover them.

 

Nowadays, peace and serenity reign on the place and it is difficult to imagine all this.

Where there was an inextinguishable hatred between two peoples, it is today the Franco-German Friendship which is in the spotlight.

Many twinnings between cities of France and Germany maintain this friendship.

I am part of such a twinning, which has existed for over 40 years between my city of Charnay-les-Mâcon, and the city of Brackenheim in Germany. Several times a year, some visit each other in families, we are always received royally, and we receive royally in return, new friendships are born.

 

This should serve as an example to all these people around the world who hate each other and are at war. This can change, you just have to want it from both sides.

 

Long live Peace, and long live Franco-German Friendship!

 

___________________________

Un passé bien révolu

 

Durant pendant la 1ère guerre mondiale, de terribles batailles se déroulèrent ici, on était sur la ligne de front.

La région de Munster et du Linge fut ensanglantée dès septembre 1914 par de violents affrontements entre les armées françaises et allemandes.

Puis, la bataille du Linge fut une des plus meurtrières du front des Vosges.

Du 20 juillet 1915 au 16 octobre 1915, plus de 17000 jeunes soldats y trouvèrent la mort sur les trois sommets du Linge, du Schratzmaennele, et du Barrenkopf.

De nombreux vestiges, blockhaus notamment, subsistent de cette bataille, un circuit de mémoire permet de les découvrir.

 

De nos jours , paix et sérénité règnent sur les lieux et on a de la peine à imaginer tout cela.

Là où régnait une haine inextingible entre deux peuples, c'est aujourd'hui l'amitié franco-allemande qui est à l'honneur.

De nombreux jumelages entre villes de France et d'Allemagne entretiennent cette amitié.

Je fais partie d'un tel jumelage, qui existe depuis plus de 40 ans entre ma ville de Charnay-les-Mâcon, et la ville de Brackenheim en Allemagne.

Plusieurs fois par an, les uns visitent les autres dans les familles, on est toujours reçu royalement, et on reçoit royalement en retour, de nouvelles amitiés naissent.

 

Ceci devrait servir d'exemple à tous ces peuples de par le monde qui se haïssent et sont en guerre les uns contre les autres. Ceci peut changer, il suffit de le vouloir de chaque coté.

 

Vive la paix, et vive l'amitié franco-allemande !

 

____________________________

Hohrodberg - Alsace - France

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

At the German Longues-sur-Mer battery, part of the Second World War coastal defenses, as part of the Atlantic wall, in Normandy, France.

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

At the German Longues-sur-Mer battery, part of the Second World War coastal defenses, as part of the Atlantic wall, in Normandy, France. That little road in front of the bunker is most likely not really original....

 

Bayeux can be seen in the distance.

Pendant la première guerre mondiale , les jeunes soldats allemands ont souffert autant que les autres , on ne leur a rien demandé que d 'aller se faire tuer pour la bêtise humaine , ils avaient des pères , des mères , des frères et soeurs et , pour certains , des enfants

Plus jamais ça !

 

During the first world war, the young German soldiers suffered as much as the others, they were not asked anything but to go to be killed for the human stupidity, they had fathers, mothers, brothers and sisters and, for some, children

Never again !

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

St. Symphorien military cemetery from the First World War. This cemetery was initially founded by the German army, for the German and British men who were killed at the Battle of Mons (August 1914). This was the condition of the original landowner, Jean Houzeau de Lehaie, that the Commonwealth soldiers should be treated with the same respect as the Germans. The cemetery was inaugurated in 1917, but also includes graves from the last days of the war - which is why the cemetery have the graves both of what is believed to be the first British soldier killed in the war (private John Parr) and the last (George Ellison and George Price, a Canadian). After the armistice the cemetery was turned over to the Commonwealth Grave Cemetery Commission.

 

The cemetery includes 229 Commonwealth burials, and 284 German. Of this total 105 remain unidentified.

On les appelle " les gardes d ' honneur " ce sont des volontaires , qui , une fois par an , font office d' anciens combattants

Ils sont la pour renseigner les personnes qui viennent visiter le site et , aussi , pour rendre un hommage aux soldats morts pendant la première guerre mondiale

J' ai fait cette photo en incluant la croix , je voulais nommer cette compo " le repos du guerrier "

Merci à vous pour vos favs

Michel

 

They are called "honor guards", they are volunteers who, once a year, act as veterans

They are there to inform the people who come to visit the site and, also, to pay tribute to the soldiers who died during the First World War

I made this picture including the cross, I wanted to name this compo "the rest of the warrior"

Thanks to you for your favs

Michel

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

This commonwealth cemetery in Arras contains around 2 650 graves, and commemorates some 34 700 missing soldiers who were lost in the area around Arras, between the spring of 1917 and the autumn of 1918.

 

The cemetery and memorial were designed by Sir Edward Lutyens and was unveiled in 1932.

 

This cemetery also includes a memorial over the 1000 airmen of the Commonwealth who died in the war.

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

Pointe du Hoc, the place of World War II D-day Normandy landings (6 June 1944) fame. The place is situated to the east of Utah beach and to the west of Omaha beach and was a part of the German Atlantic wall. Pointe du Hoc (which really isn't a beach but a set of very, very steep - not to say generally speaking vertical - cliffs) was taken by the American Ranger Assault Group, which included occupying the German fortification at the top.

 

Looking at these cliffs, you have to kind of wonder how they managed to pull it off - especially with enemy soldiers at the top.

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

The chapel at the war cemetery of the same name - the biggest French war cemetery from the First World War. Here rests the remains of 44 833 soldiers. Some 20 000 of them have individual graves.

 

The chapel, built as a Byzantine basilica, is 46 metres long and the work of Louis Marie Cordonnier (his other work includes the Basilica of Saint Thérèse of Lisiuex, www.flickr.com/photos/dameboudicca/14856463348 ). It was inaugurated in 1925 and blessed in 1927 by the bishop Eugène Julien. After his death in 1930 the bishop was buried in the chapel, after his own request (and I think this is his grave).

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

A grave for an unknown American soldier buried at the Oise-Aisne American Cemetery.

 

This American war cemetery from the First World War has 6012 graves (597 of which are over unknown persons) and commemorates 241 soldiers who died in the area, but whose remains have never been identified.

 

The soldiers here mainly lost their lives in the Second Battle of the Marne (15 July - 6 August 1918) and the American Oise-Aisne campaign (18 August - 11 November 1918). The cemetery was at first just a temporary solution, but was properly consecrated in 1921.

 

Confusingly enough, in French the name of the cemetery is (in translation) The American cemetery of Seringes-et-Nesles.

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

The German war cemetery at Neuville-St.-Vaast.

 

This is the largest German war cemetery from the First World War in France, containing the remains of 44 830 persons, who had fallen in the fighting north and east of Arras, including Lorette Ridge, Artois (August 1914 to the end of 1915) and the Vimy Ridge (Easter 1917 and in the autumn of 1918).

 

And having been around quite a few war cemeteries by now - from both the First and the Second World War, big and small, and for different nationalities (French, Commonwealth, American, German, Russian, Polish, Portuguese etc.), they are all heart-breaking...

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

This American war cemetery from the First World War has 6012 graves (597 of which are over unknown persons) and commemorates 241 soldiers who died in the area, but whose remains have never been identified.

 

The soldiers here mainly lost their lives in the Second Battle of the Marne (15 July - 6 August 1918) and the American Oise-Aisne campaign (18 August - 11 November 1918). The cemetery was at first just a temporary solution, but was properly consecrated in 1921.

 

Confusingly enough, in French the name of the cemetery is (in translation) The American cemetery of Seringes-et-Nesles.

Le Duc Carl Eugen de Wurtemberg (1744-1793) voulait faire de Stuttgart un deuxième Versailles. Il fit construire ainsi avec le Nouveau Château ou Neues Schloss le dernier grand aménagement de château résidentiel baroque en Allemagne. En tout, le régent est responsable de la construction de quatre châteaux de Stuttgart. Un incendie et le fait que Carl Eugen ait transféré son lieu de résidence pendant dix ans à Ludwigsburg, expliquent la longue période de construction du Nouveau château (1746-1807). Cela explique les nombreux styles différents: on y trouve du baroque, du classique, du rococo et du style Empire. Après les destructions causées par la Deuxième Guerre Mondiale, la Reconstruction (1958-1964) eut lieu, bien que l’on se limita ici à l’essentiel dans la reconstruction de la façade.

 

Duke Carl Eugen of Württemberg (1744-1793) wanted to make Stuttgart a second Versailles. With the New Castle or Neues Schloss, he built the last large Baroque residential castle development in Germany. In all, the regent is responsible for the construction of four castles in Stuttgart. A fire and the fact that Carl Eugen transferred his place of residence for ten years to Ludwigsburg, explain the long period of construction of the New Castle (1746-1807). This explains the many different styles: there are baroque, classical, rococo and Empire style. After the destruction caused by the Second World War, the Reconstruction (1958-1964) took place, although it was limited here to the essential in the reconstruction of the facade.

10 exemplaires ont été construits par Dewoitine pour être assemblés par l'usine suisse K + W Thun en Suisse. Ils ont été suivis d'une commande de deux autres avions équipés d'une version légèrement plus puissante du moteur Wright 9Q qui propulsait le lot initial, et l'un des D.26 d'origine a également été remanié. Les D.26 d'origine étaient principalement utilisés pour l'entraînement au tir et au vol en formation, tandis que les avions plus puissants étaient utilisés pour l'entraînement au combat air-air. À cette fin, ils étaient équipés de caméras de tir.

 

Le D.26 a joui d'une longue durée de vie, il n'a été retiré qu'en 1948. À cette époque, ils ont été transférés à l'Aero-Club der Schweiz où ils ont été utilisés comme remorqueurs de planeurs. Le dernier exemple n'a été retiré de l'utilisation des aéroclubs qu'en 1970, après quoi il a été conservé au musée de l'aviation militaire de Dübendorf.

 

Seuls 2 avions sont encore en état de navigabilité dans leur état d'origine, le numéro 286 est basé à Grenchen LSZG et le numéro 284 est basé à Lausanne LSGL. Les deux avions sont en tournée dans des spectacles aériens comme "Patrouille Dewoitine - Swiss Air Force 1931".

 

10 examples were built by Dewoitine for assembly by the Swiss factory K+W Thun in Switzerland. These were followed by an order for two more aircraft equipped with a slightly higher-powered version of the Wright 9Q engine that powered the initial batch, and one of the original D.26s was similarly re-engined. The original D.26s were used principally for training in gunnery and formation flying, while the more powerful aircraft were used for air-to-air combat training. To this end, they were equipped with gun cameras.

 

The D.26 enjoyed a long service life, not being withdrawn until 1948. At this time, they were transferred to the Aero-Club der Schweiz where they were used as glider tugs. The last example was not retired from aeroclub use until 1970, whereupon it was preserved at the military aviation museum at Dübendorf.

 

Only 2 planes are still airworthy in original condition, number 286 is based in Grenchen LSZG and number 284 is based in Lausanne LSGL. Both planes touring in airshows as "Patrouille Dewoitine - Swiss Air Force 1931".

 

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

At Douaumont ossuary - the last resting place for at least 130 000 unknown French and German soldiers who died at the battle of Verdun ('The Hell of Verdun', raging for 300 days - February 21 to December 1916) where some 230 000 persons lost their lives. You can't really wrap your head around that number, nor the fact that more than half of them never even could be identified.

 

The ossuary faces the largest French First World War cemetery with 16 142 graves.

 

MUSEE DE SETE. SETE MUSEUM

 

Le Musée Paul Valery de Sète petite ville au bord de la Méditerranée, comme beaucoup de musées de sa catégorie, offre la possibilité d'apercevoir un art moderne ou contemporain local ou régional qui ne manque pas d'intérêt. L'Art Moderne s'inspire des grands courants nationaux et internationaux bien connus. Comme généralement en France la majorité de ces peintres, originaires de la région ou du Midi, ont travaillé à Paris. C'est un art duquel la beauté et le sens n'ont pas été systématiquement évacués au motif qu'ils seraient obsolètes, passéistes, ringards. C'est un art qui incontestablement n'a plus d' inspiration religieuse notable, et un art qui s'intéresse essentiellement au présent des hommes. Un art du quotidien sans références culturelles anciennes. La beauté et le sens ne sont pas encore dépassés, mais le passé des hommes oui. A la suite des impressionnistes, les peintres modernes se plaisent dans la description de l'instant présent. Un art matérialiste plus que spiritualiste, mais pas un anti-art désespéré du laid et de l'absurde.

L'Art Contemporain local et régional échappe souvent, pas toujours, aux diktats de l'artistiquement correct qui concernent l'art national et international. Il est plus dans la continuation de l'Art Moderne, il ne rompt pas absolument avec l'idéal du beau et de la signification partagée. On y trouve bien évidemment les inévitables rectangles de couleur plus ou moins unie qui sont un des sommets du Non-Art Conceptuel, Mondialiste.

C'est un musée intéressant, essentiellement d'art moderne, mais qui ne trahit pas trop l'esprit de l'homme cultivé dont il rappelle le nom. "Nous autres civilisations nous savons maintenant que nous sommes mortelles"

Cette pensée célèbre est très caractéristique de l'Occident. Paul Valéry comprend bien avant beaucoup de monde en Europe que la civilisation occidentale est mortelle. "Nous autres Civilisations" dans son esprit c'est bien sûr l'Europe, issue de la civilisation Gréco-latine et imprégnée de Christianisme.

Mais cette pensée est absolument étrangère à la culture Extrême-Orientale. Au moment où Paul Valéry fait sa découverte, l'Inde Hindouiste sait depuis 3000 ans qu'elle est mortelle, par cycles réguliers. Pour un Hindouiste ce n'est absolument pas une découverte. C'est une banalité. La Chine taoïste, confucianiste et bouddhiste sait aussi qu'elle n'est qu'un moment fugitif de l'histoire des êtres, pas seulement des hommes. La Chine légiste, par contre, celle des hommes actuellement au pouvoir, depuis la seconde guerre mondiale, est infiniment plus proche d'un Occident qui peine toujours beaucoup à comprendre qu'il est mortel.

  

The Paul Valery Museum of Sète, a small town on the Mediterranean coast, like many museums of its category, offers the opportunity to see local or regional modern or contemporary art which does not lack interest. Modern Art is inspired by well-known national and international trends. As generally in France, the majority of these painters, originating from the region or the South, worked in Paris.

It is an art from which beauty and meaning have not been systematically evacuated on the grounds that they are obsolete, passé, old-fashioned. It is an art that undoubtedly no longer has any notable religious inspiration, and an art that is essentially interested in the present of men. It is an of everyday art without ancient cultural references.

Beauty and meaning are not yet out of date, but the past of men yes. Following the Impressionists, modern painters take pleasure in describing the present moment. A materialist art more than spiritualist, but not a desperate anti-art of the ugly and the absurd.

Local and regional contemporary art,often not always, escapes the diktats of the artistically correct, which concern national and international art. It is more in the continuation of Modern Art, it does not absolutely break with the ideal of beauty and shared meaning.

One finds there obviously the inevitable rectangles of more or less solid color which are one of the summits of Conceptual Globalist Non-Art.

It is an interesting museum, essentially of modern art, but which does not betray too much the spirit of the cultured man whose name it recalls. "We other civilizations now know that we are mortal"

This famous thought is very characteristic of the West. Paul Valéry understood long before many people in Europe that Western civilization is deadly. "We Civilizations" in his mind is of course Europe, born of the Greco-Latin civilization and imbued with Christianity.

But this thought is absolutely foreign to Far Eastern culture. At the time of Paul Valéry's discovery, Hindu India has known for 3000 years that it is mortal, in regular cycles. For a Hinduist this is absolutely not a discovery. It is a banality. Taoist, Confucian and Buddhist China also knows that she is only a fleeting moment in the history of beings, not only of men. Legist China, on the other hand, the China of men currently in power, since the Second World War, is infinitely closer to a West that still struggles to understand that it is mortal.

   

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

At Douaumont ossuary - the last resting place for at least 130 000 unknown French and German soldiers who died at the battle of Verdun ('The Hell of Verdun', raging for 300 days - February 21 to December 1916) where some 230 000 persons lost their lives. You can't really wrap your head around that number, nor the fact that more than half of them never even could be identified.

 

The ossuary faces the largest French First World War cemetery with 16 142 graves.

 

The word PAX is written above the door in. (And as you might guess, photography is not allowed inside.)

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

The Indian Memorial at Neuve Chapelle, commemorating the 4,742 Indian soldiers and labourers who died during the First World War and has no known grave.

 

The monument, unveiled on 7 October 1927 was designed by Sir Herbert Barker and sculptured by Charles Wheeler and is inspired by early Indian sanctuaries that have an enclosing wall. The choice of place is no accident, either. In March 1915 Neuve Chapelle was the place where the Indian Corps had its first major battle as a single unit.

 

The monument now also commemorates Indians who died in the Second World War.

 

(And though it really shouldn't be a competition, I can also add that it is one of the most beautiful memorials I have seen.)

Dieser knapp 10 m hohe Weihnachtsbaum steht auf dem Breslauer Platz und ist ein ganz besonderer Baum, er wird mit Spenden von Geschäftsleuten und vielen Friedenauer Bürgern finanziert!

Im July, kein Mensch denkt im Hochsommer an Weihnachten und den Weihnachstbaum, bestellen wir den Baum, ohne einen Cent im Geldbeutel mit dem er bezahlt werden könnte. Wir vertrauen unseren Spendern die seit vielen Jahren gute und treue Partner sind. Mit anderen Worten das nötige Geld ist im Portemonnaie, wir können ihn bezahlen.

Die Wunschkarten, die Ihr an dem Baum seht wurden von Schülerinnen einer Grundschule in unseren Kiez gemalt und mit Text versehen. Auf ihren Wunschkarten sind keine eigenen Wünsche geschrieben sondern es sind Wünsche die sich mit aktuellen Themen befassen, wie zum Beispiel der Hunger in der Welt Krieg und, Armut, Wohnungslosigkeit und Umwelt, Krankheit aber auch die Freude auf die Adventszeit und Weihnachten.

In jedem Jahr wird der Weihnachtsbaum am Freitag vor dem 1. Advent in einer kleinen Feier im Beisein unserer Bürgermeisterin und vielen Friedenauer groß und klein illuminiert. Der Friedenauer Bläserchor spielt weihnachtliche Lieder, Ein Schulchor trägt Lieder aus aller Welt vor und unsere Friedenauer Engel begrüßen die Adventszeit in einem Gedicht.

Eine schöne Tradition die in unserem Kiez keiner missen möchte.

Ich wünsche Euch eine friedliche besinnliche Adventszeit liebe Freunde!

 

This 10 m high Christmas tree stands on the Breslauer Platz and is a very special tree, it is financed with donations from businessmen and many citizens of Friedenau!

In July, when nobody thinks about Christmas and the Christmas tree in midsummer, we order the tree without a cent in our wallet to pay for it. We trust our donors who have been good and faithful partners for many years. In other words the necessary money is in the wallet, we can pay it.

The greeting cards you can see on the tree were painted and written by pupils of a primary school in our neighbourhood. On their wish cards there are no own wishes written but there are wishes that deal with current topics, such as hunger in the world war and, poverty, homelessness and environment, disease but also the joy of Advent and Christmas.

Every year the Christmas tree is illuminated large and small on Friday before the 1st Advent in a small celebration in the presence of our mayoress and many Peaceauer. The Friedenauer brass choir plays Christmas songs, a school choir recites songs from all over the world and our Friedenauer angels welcome the Advent season in a poem.

A beautiful tradition that no one in our neighbourhood would want to miss.

I wish you a peaceful and contemplative Advent season dear friends!

 

Cet arbre de Noël de 10 m de haut se dresse sur la Breslauer Platz et est un arbre très spécial, il est financé par des dons d'hommes d'affaires et de nombreux habitants de Friedenau !

En juillet, quand personne ne pense à Noël et à l'arbre de Noël au milieu de l'été, nous commandons l'arbre sans un sou dans notre portefeuille pour le payer. Nous faisons confiance à nos donateurs qui sont de bons et fidèles partenaires depuis de nombreuses années. En d'autres termes, l'argent nécessaire est dans le portefeuille, nous pouvons le payer.

Les cartes de vœux que vous pouvez voir sur l'arbre ont été peintes et écrites par des élèves d'une école primaire de notre quartier. Sur leurs cartes de vœux, il n'y a pas de vœux personnels, mais des vœux qui traitent de sujets d'actualité, tels que la faim pendant la guerre mondiale, la pauvreté, les sans-abri et l'environnement, la maladie, mais aussi la joie de l'Avent et Noël.

Chaque année, le sapin de Noël est illuminé en grand et en petit le vendredi précédant le 1er Avent dans une petite fête en présence de notre maire et de nombreux Peaceauer. Le chœur de cuivres Friedenauer joue des chants de Noël, un chœur scolaire récite des chants du monde entier et nos anges Friedenauer accueillent la saison de l'Avent dans un poème.

Une belle tradition que personne dans notre quartier ne voudrait manquer.

Je vous souhaite un Avent paisible et contemplatif, chers amis !

 

Traduit avec www.DeepL.com/Translator

Das Cap Blanc-Nez (Blanc-Nez „weiße Nase“) ist eine Landspitze an Frankreichs Ärmelkanalküste, die in diesem Bereich Côte d’Opale genannt wird, Es befindet sich südlich von Calais. Zusammen mit dem Cap Gris-Nez bildet es die „Gegend der zwei Kaps“ (Site de deux Caps), die im Süden von Boulogne-sur-Mer abgeschlossen wird.

 

Das Cap Blanc-Nez besteht aus Kreidegestein und Mergel und hat steil abfallende Seiten zum Meer. Es zählt zu den "Grand sites de France' seit 2011.Die Höhe der Felsen beträgt 134 m.

 

Entlang der gesamten Küste weisen zahlreiche Gedenksteine und Monumente auf die Schrecken des Ersten und Zweiten Weltkriegs hin.

Die Spuren an diesem strategisch wichtigen Ort sind auch anhand einer Bunkeranlage auf dem Gipfel des Cap Blanc-Nez und zahlreichen, noch immer gut sichtbaren Bombenkratern erkennbar...Mahnmale unserer Geschichte...

 

________

 

De Dunquerque à Berck s'étend le paysage sauvage de la Cote d'Opale dessiné par des falaises escarpées, des valées crantées et un chapelet de dunes.

La Corniche de la Cote d'Opale, aussi nommée Terre des Deux Caps, car elle reunit le Cap Blanc-Nez et le Cap Gris-Nez, en est la partie la plus spectaculaire. Grand site de France depuis 2011, la Terre des Deux Caps marque la transition entre dunes et falaises.

Cap Blanc-Nez:

Reconnaisable de loin, surmonté d l'obélisque de la Dover Patrol,

qui fut erigé enmémoire des marins fancais et anglais morts pendant la Première Guerre mondiale en défendant le détroit du Pas-de-Calais.

Du haut du Cap, le spectacle est vertiginieux : la masse verticale de la falaise, à 134 m de haut, surplombe le 'pas' et son trafic incessant de navires.

www.grandsitedefrance.com/extranet/35-photos.html

_______

 

Cap Blanc-Nez (literally "Cape White Nose" in English) is a cape on the Côte d'Opale, in the Pas-de-Calais département, in northern France. The cliffs of chalk are very similar to the white cliffs of Dover at the other side of the Channel in England. Cap Blanc-Nez does not protrude into the sea like a typical cape, but is a high point where a chalk ridge has been truncated by the sea, forming a cliff that is topped by the obelisk of the Dover Patrol Monument, commemorating the Dover Patrol which kept the Channel free from U-boats during World War I.

 

Cap Blanc-Nez was a vital measuring point for the eighteenth-century trigonometric survey linking the Paris Observatory with the Royal Greenwich Observatory. Sightings were made across the English Channel to Dover Castle and Fairlight Windmill on the South Downs. This Anglo-French Survey was led in England by General William Roy.

_______________

  

Wishing you a happy new week, dear friends,

thanks for stopping by :-)

 

•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*¨*•.•*¨*•♫♪•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪¸¸.

   

With a texture, a photo from my visit in Alsace ( October 2018). A popular tourist attraction for its historical architecture, Riquewihr is also known for the Riesling and other great wines produced in the village. Riquewihr looks today more or less as it did in the 16th century. It is officially one of the most beautiful villages in France, or Les plus beaux villages de France.

 

Un tres joli village d'Alsace. Riquewihr est un village d'Alsace réputé, très visité pour son patrimoine architectural, une cité médiévale pittoresque, épargnée par les destructions des deux guerres mondiales.

Photo prise le 22/12/2013 et publiée le 12/09/2015.

 

Capbreton, Landes, Aquitaine, France

 

FR:

Ces blockhaus ont été construits lors de la Seconde Guerre Mondiale. Heureusement, ceux-ci n'ont jamais servi. À l'époque, ils étaient enfouis sous la dune, assez loin de l'océan. Aujourd'hui, les blockhaus sont largement visible car l'océan continue inlassablement son travail d'érosion sur la côte.

 

UK/US:

These bunkers were built during the Second World War. Fortunately, they never served. At the time, they were buried under the dune, far enough from the ocean. Today the bunkers are widely visible because the ocean tirelessly continues his work of erosion on the coast.

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

The French national monument over the Second battle of the Marne, in July 1918, in the First World War, made by the artist Paul Landowski, who also fought in the war. He began the work in 1919 but it wasn't until 1925 the three parts of the monument were erected here, on a place chosen by war veterans.

 

The parts are La France at the front, by the road going past, the four steps in the ground, symbolizing the four years of the war, and then the group Les Fantômes, depicting 8 men, with eyes closed.

des anglais sont venus déposer une gerbe de fleurs , en hommage aux morts de la première guerre mondiale

 

English came to lay a wreath of flowers, in tribute to the dead of the First World War

ⓒRebecca Bugge, All Rights Reserved

Do not use without permission.

 

For the Second World War - in Floriana, the suburb of Valletta, Malta.

les tours du Broel (en néerlandais: Broeltorens) sont les derniers vestiges de l'architecture militaire médiévale de la ville. Les tours sont un des symboles les plus importants de la ville.

Les deux tours sont des vestiges de la fortification médiévale de la ville qui fut détruite pendant plusieurs guerres. Elles sont reliées par un pont enjambant la Lys, qui dut être reconstruit après chacune des guerres mondiales.

La plus vielle tour, la tour sud, (dite Speyentoren) fut construite en 1385 pour contrôler le pont sur la Lys et faisait partie du château des comtes de Flandre.

La deuxième tour, la tour nord, (dite Inghelburgtoren) date du XVe siècle (1415) et fut érigée pour assurer une défense d’artillerie rudimentaire. Voilà pourquoi on appelle cette tour aussi l'Armorietorre.

L'enceinte médiévale fut démolie par Louis XIV en 1684, puis durant le XVIIIe siècle, et enfin durant les deux Guerres Mondiales.

 

The Broel Towers (in Dutch: Broeltorens) are the last vestiges of the medieval military architecture of the city. The towers are one of the most important symbols of the city.

Both towers are remnants of the medieval fortification of the city that was destroyed during several wars. They are connected by a bridge spanning the Lys, which had to be rebuilt after each of the world wars.

The oldest tower, the south tower (called Speyentoren) was built in 1385 to control the bridge over the Lys and was part of the castle of the Counts of Flanders.

The second tower, the northern tower (called Inghelburgtoren) dates from the fifteenth century (1415) and was erected to provide a rudimentary artillery defense. That's why this tower is also called Armorietorre.

The medieval walls were demolished by Louis XIV in 1684, then during the eighteenth century, and finally during the two World Wars.

1 3 4 5 6 7 ••• 79 80