new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
View allAll Photos Tagged F.W._Skeat

Chancel, east window, by F W Skeat, 1965. Mid-C19 glass in traceries probably by George Rogers

East window by F W Skeat, c 1965.

 

All stained glass information from Pevsner, Worcestershire (Alan Brooks, 2007).

 

www.worcesteranddudleyhistoricchurches.org.uk/index.php?p...

The large west window by F W Skeat, c 1965, is mainly obscured from the nave by a later addition of a west gallery which is partitioned off for meeting rooms, etc.

 

All stained glass information from Pevsner, Worcestershire (Alan Brooks, 2007).

 

www.worcesteranddudleyhistoricchurches.org.uk/index.php?p...

West window by F W Skeat, c 1965.

 

All stained glass information from Pevsner, Worcestershire (Alan Brooks, 2007).

 

www.worcesteranddudleyhistoricchurches.org.uk/index.php?p...

Nave north west window by F W Skeat, 1965.

 

All stained glass information from Pevsner, Worcestershire. (Alan Brooks, 2007)

 

www.worcesteranddudleyhistoricchurches.org.uk/index.php?p...

Chancel north window by F W Skeat, c1965.

 

All stained glass information from Pevsner, Worcestershire (Alan Brooks, 2007).

 

www.worcesteranddudleyhistoricchurches.org.uk/index.php?p...

Chancel, east window, by F W Skeat, 1965. Mid-C19 glass in traceries probably by George Rogers : detail

South aisle window: The Nativity by F W Skeat (1963).

 

The first church built on this site was consecrated by the Bishop of St Asaph in 1295.

No feature of this building remains except possibly the crucifixion panel on the north external wall of the porch.

It was replaced by the existing perpendicular building in 1470 and formed part of the conventual buildings of Evesham Abbey which was then the fifth richest in England.

The church was erected for the use of the multitude of pilgrims who piously came to worship at the Abbey shrines throughout many years of storm and calm alike.

Many diseases being prevalent in these times made it necessary to isolate them from the townsfolk, who exclusively used the adjoining parish Church of All Saints. The bodily needs of the pilgrims were catered for at the Abbey Almonry nearby which is still standing. The church had become sadly dilapidated and in 1730 an extensive and, as it proved, disastrous reconstruction took place because owing to faulty construction and poor materials, the new roof collapsed before 1800.

The church remained in ruins until 1837 when it was restored and reopened for divine worship. In 1957 a further minor restoration took place.

In 1978 the church was declared redundant and came under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust the following year.

   

Chancel north window by F W Skeat, c1965.

 

All stained glass information from Pevsner, Worcestershire (Alan Brooks, 2007).

 

www.worcesteranddudleyhistoricchurches.org.uk/index.php?p...

A Norman nave with medieval wall paintings possibly dating to the 14th century. The chancel was rebuilt in the 18th century and there was a restoration in 1884/85 by W J Hopkins.

 

East window by F W Skeat, 1965.

 

www.worcesteranddudleyhistoricchurches.org.uk/index.php?p...