Gentoo penguin chick at Aitcho Island.
Aitcho Island is part of the South Shetland Island group. The island group runs 280 miles N to S and are 100 miles west of the Antarctic Peninsula. William Smith first discovered the Shetland Islands in 1819 when he was blown off course while going around Cape Horn. The islands were originally called “H.O. Islands” after the Admiralty Hydrographic Office who mapped the island group in 1936. The name was later changed to “Aitcho Island,” a phonetic spelling.