Mile Cross #8
Mile Cross Gardens.
These two gardens were designed by the parks superintendent Captain Sandys-Winch and straddled the main entrance onto the estate. On 19th November 1925 the Parks and Gardens Committee authorised the layout of the gardens subject to a grant from the Unemployment Grants Committee. The decision to construct the buildings with concrete was made in order to provide as much work as possible.
The total cost of the development was £4,875, with a government grant of £1840. The gardens were officially opened on 4th May 1929 by the Lord Mayor, HP Gowen and the Sheriff, Miss Mable Clarkson. The park is listed grade II along with other parks in the city designed by Sandys-Winch.
The two Pavilions are no longer in use, with the doors and entrances bricked up and covered in childish graffiti. The gardens themselves are mostly tidy around the edges, however, the decorative touches have all been destroyed or removed and the once-neatly trimmed grass fit for bowls is no more than a toilet for Staffordshire Bull Terriers and the like.
If Sandys-Winch could see it all now he'd probably want to shoot a Tory.
The gardens can be seen here