After World War II, a new generation of Chinese restaurants began opening in Washington, bringing fresh styles of cooking that supplemented the traditional Cantonese fare. Noteworthy was the Peking Restaurant, at 5522 Connecticut Avenue NW in Chevy Chase, which opened in 1947 and was one of the first of the new wave of Chinese eateries. The Peking was founded by Chuon Ming Lo (1918-1980), a Cantonese native who came to Washington in 1941 as a chef at the Chinese Embassy, and four friends. Lo offered “Peking style” dishes, including moo shu pork and Peking duck, which quickly gained a following among diplomats and local connoisseurs. Other exotic novelties included 00 soup, eight precious rice, and something called tsa sang shang. In the 1950s, The New York Times and Holiday Magazine, among others, would rank the Peking as one of the city’s best restaurants. After ten years of success, in 1957 Lo opened a downtown branch, at 711 13th Street, NW, which had a distinguished 20-year career of its own. As Lo told The Evening Star in 1977, the Kennedy White House would sometimes order sizable late night take-out meals from the downtown Peking.