new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
The  B&O Warehouse at Camden Yards | by Steve Maciejewski
Back to photostream

The B&O Warehouse at Camden Yards

The B&O Warehouse at Camden Yards

 

The B&O Warehouse is a building in Baltimore, Maryland, adjacent to Oriole Park at Camden Yards. It was constructed by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) beginning in 1899, with later sections completed in 1905, adjacent to the B&O's Camden Station and freight yard at Camden and Eutaw streets. Often purported to be the longest brick building on the East Coast, the 1,116-foot (340 m) long, eight-story brick structure had 430,000 square feet (almost 40,000 m²) of floor space for merchandise storage and distribution, large enough to hold 1,000 carloads of freight at a time, the B&O advertised. Railroad historian Herbert H. Harwood proclaimed it an "awesome structure ... a truly classic turn-of-the-century railroad warehouse." The warehouse was used by the B&O through the 1960s but was mostly vacant by the 1970s due to the use of trucks and newer, more efficient single-floor warehouses located in industrial parks elsewhere.

 

With the development of the downtown stadium for the Orioles, which opened in 1992, the former B&O warehouse was converted to team offices, team spaces, and a private club for the Orioles.

 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%26O_Warehouse

2,291 views
6 faves
2 comments
Taken on May 18, 2008