Moreton Bay
The Noonucal and Gorenpul peoples called the area Quandamooka. In 1770 Captain James Cook sailed along this inlet of the Pacific Ocean naming the area after James Douglas Morton, 14th Earl of Morton becoming ‘Moreton Bay’, an area covering the southern end of North Stradbroke Island to Bribie Island. From 1824 until 1842, it was a place of punishment for reoffending Port Jackson convicts. Eventually settlement occurred, the islands were cleared for farming then housing development now with suburban facilities that support permanent residents and many day visitors.

This set was curated by Anna Bagshaw, a volunteer at the State Library of Queensland, as part of an initiative to harness the knowledge, expertise and passion of our community and increase the content from our collections in Flickr Commons.

References
1. Moreton-Robinson, A. (2006). Towards a new research agenda? Journal of Sociology, 42(4), 383-395. doi: 10.1177/1440783306069995

2. Encyclopedia Britannica (2012) Retrieved 30 July 2012 from www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/392156/Moreton-Bay

3. Whitmore, M., & De Lacy, T. (n.d). Sustainable development and management of tourism in Moreton Bay. Brisban: The Sustainable Tourism CRC. Retrieved 3 August, 2012 from www.sustainabletourismonline.com/11/resource-capacity/sus...

4. Queensland Department of Science Information Technology Innovation and the Arts : Queensland State Archives. (2012). Moreton Bay convict settlement Retrieved 2 August, 2012, from www.archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/History/HistoricalEss...
25 photos · 733 views