Bedroom, David Scott Mitchell's residence, c. 1907, by unknown photographer
David Scott Mitchell (1836-1907) was an avid collector of Australiana. In 1898 Mitchell agreed to bequeath his collection to the state of NSW provided that the government constructed a new Library building to house it. His gift is perhaps one of the greatest acts of benefaction ever seen in Australia. The Mitchell Library was officially opened on 8 March 1910, and opened to the public the next day, 9 March.
Notes: Find more detailed information about this photographic collection: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/item/itemDetailPaged.aspx?itemID=422391
Search for more great images in the State Library's collections: acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/search/SimpleSearch.aspx
From the collection of the State Library of New South Wales www.sl.nsw.gov.au