The Howard Assembly rooms opened in January 2009 replacing the space used by the former Plaza cinema which had been inserted into the building after a fire in the 1920's. Sadly the fine Plaza has gone (some plaster has been saved and incorporated into the Assembly Rooms). The acoustic qualities of the new restored room however are superb and the space is now a adaptable addition to the the Grand Theatre and Opera North's home.
The wooden barrel vaulted ceiling is a particularly fine feature, completely restored to the original design.
Photo February 2009 during an installation by United Visual Artists called "Chorus"