Rowes New Theatre, Mountain Ash, seen here c 1984, is another badly discoloured photograph. Trying to tidy it up has given it the effect of an early hand coloured postcard.
The theatre, opened as Nixon's Public Hall in 1898, and was a miners Institute. The Institute rooms occupied the ground floor whilst the 1050 seat theatre (on two levels) was at 1st & 2nd floor level. The balcony front was notable for two reasons - firstly it was not returned to the stage wall but had a flight of steps down to stalls level culminating at the stage and secondly for its elaborate cast iron balcony front.
It became a cinema, then a bingo hall, and has sadly been demolished - in 1995 - after a fire.