new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Leiston Abbey | by Samantha O'Kelly
Back to photostream

Leiston Abbey

The Abbey, formerly known as St Mary's Abbey, was founded in 1182 at Minsmere by a powerful lawyer named Ranulf de Glanville, Lord Chief Justice to King Henry II.

In 1363 the Abbey was transferred to Leiston, and its Patron Robert de Ufford, Earl of Suffolk, devoted his last years to the building. The order of the Abbey was a House of Augustinian Canons Regular who followed the Premonstratensian rule. Unlike monks, their main duties were preaching and pastoral work.

 

374 views
2 faves
3 comments
Taken on October 2, 2011