new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Lions Gate Bridge Vertorama | by Vick Sahota
Back to photostream

Lions Gate Bridge Vertorama

Website | G+ | Facebook | 500px | Instagram | Tumblr | Twitter

I took this picture of the Lions Gate Bridge last week when I went to Stanley park for the day. Me and my cousin probably walked for longer than an hour to get to this spot and it was definitely worth it. I only had my Sigma 10-20 lens and the whole time I was complaining that it was "too wide" and then I get to the Bridge and my lens wasn't wide enough haha. Anyways to counteract this I had to make a vertorama composed of 5 pictures each bracketed at -2, 0 and 2 which were all taken handheld and merged to make this HDR Vertorama. It may not look like it but the the top part of the picture was above my head I actually had to lean quite back to capture it all. I finally think it's time I invested in a tripod as this was brutal to stitch which all the parallax and distortion.

Here's the original:

www.flickr.com/photos/vicktion/7756456154/

How it was processed:

1. Imported all 15 pictures into camera raw to remove Chromatic Aberations and vignetting and then opened the pictures in photoshop.

2. I then auto aligned each set of three pictures and then exported them as 16 bit tiffs.

3. Merged and tonemapped each set of 5 photos with photomatix.

4. The ghosting tool wasn't working that great so I just made a single exposure HDR and masked that over the actual HDR photo so the colors and processing would be the same.

5. Used Photoshop's photomerge function to merge the 5 tonemapped pictures using the cylindrical option with correct geometric distortion checked. I then used the warp tool to expand the picture and make it so there's less white space and I also used it to correct some of the distortion. After that I then filled in the white spots with the clone stamp tool and healing brush. I then added a slight Gaussian blur and set that layer to overlay and lowered the opacity and it added some nice contrast to the image with a bit of glow. I then used topaz adjust to correct the exposure and I removed the noise with Topaz denoise. I also experimented with all the sliders as I usually only use three or four sliders. I finished with my watermark and exported it as a Tiff.

6. I then imported it into lightroom where I adjusted the exposure (the new lightroom 4 adjustments), added some vibrance and contrast and then finished with some sharpening.

Taken at f/10, 1/100s, ISO 320 @10 mm.

Taken with a Canon T3i + Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6mm lens.

2,951 views
5 faves
5 comments
Taken on August 4, 2012