Recipe: Stuffed Potato Skins
Stuffed Potato Skins
Recipe from the Autumn 2006 issue of LCBO's Food and Drink Magazine.
6 russet/baking potatoes
2 tbsp / 25mL butter, melted
7oz / 200g Gruyere cheese, grated
3.5oz / 105g of ham, thinly sliced and cut into about 1/2" squares.
1/2 large red pepper (about 1/2cup or 125mL chopped)
4 green onions thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Rinse potatoes and prick them all over with a fork (1).
2. Make a bed of salt in the bottom of a baking dish and place potatoes on top (2). Bake the potatoes for about 1 hour (or until tender) at 400F, turning once.
3. Grate cheese, slice ham, and green onions (3,4,5).
4. Let the potatoes cool a little after taking it out of the oven (6). Cut them in half lengthwise and scoop the insides out leaving about 1/4" (5mm) thickness of potato lining (7).
5. Brush the insides and outsides of the skin with the melted butter (8). Place each half on a baking sheet.
6. Using about half the grated cheese, fill the skins (9). Fill the skins with the sliced ham (10), the red peppers and green onions (11). Garnish with salt and freshly ground pepper.
7. Top the skins with the remaining grated cheese.
8. Bake in oven for another 15 minutes or until bubbling hot (13).
Note: You can cut the potato halves in half again to serve smaller portions as appetizers.