Cincinnati's Music Hall, No. 1
1241 Elm St., Cincinnati, OH.
Located at the Southwest corner of Thirteen and Elm Streets.
Neighborhood | Over-the-Rhine
Music Hall, completed in 1878, is Cincinnati's premier classical music performance hall. It serves as the home for the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, Cincinnati Opera, May Festival Chorus, and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra. In January, 1975, it was recognized as a National Historic Landmark by the U.S. Department of the Interior. The building was designed from the start with a dual purpose - to house musical activities in its central auditorium and industrial exhibitions in its side wings. It is located across from historic Washington Park , just minutes from the center of the downtown area. Music Hall was built over a pauper's cemetery, which has helped fuel its reputation as one of the most haunted places in America.
The first performance took place on May 14, 1878. An estimated 6,000 saw the opera "Alceste" by Christoph Willibald Gluck performed, as well as Beethoven's "Eroica" symphony. The 1880 Democratic National Convention was hosted at Music Hall. The Cincinnati Riots of 1884, one of the most destructive riots in American history, began at a protest meeting at Music Hall. The protest got out of hand and 10,000 Cincinnatians marched on the courthouse, outraged over what they believed was a lax and corrupt legal system. A total of 56 people died in the riots
Competed | 1878
Architect | Samuel Hannaford & Sons, Cincinnati, OH
Ink on 100b Bristol Paper. 14" x 17"