Why do you see pairs of shoes hanging by the laces from power lines?
All across the United States, you'll encounter discarded shoes hanging from wires, poles, and trees. Theories as to what these shoes signify abound, but, contrary to what one hears, there's no one right answer.
* Crack dealers festoon wires to advertise their presence in the neighborhood.
* The shoes increase wire visibility for low-flying aircraft.
* Overly puffed-up boys who have just lost their virginity or otherwise passed a sexual milestone look to signal the event to others.
* Graduating seniors mark this transition in their lives by leaving something of themselves behind; namely, their shoes.
* Kids do it just because it's fun. And besides, what else are you going to do with a worn-out pair of sneakers other than tie the laces together and toss them high?
This photo is in 10 groups
- Photo Friday - Best of 2008 2,290 items
- the 'sole intentions' exhibition 494 items
- Colors of the World 1,322,781 items
- Hit, Miss or Maybe..."Post one, vote on three" 188,341 items
- CARPE DIEM -post 1, comment on previous 3. (Please read FAQ) 19,016 items
- **The Continuum (Comment on the Two Photos to your Right) 46,705 items