new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Ellis, George Reginald (1885-1918) | by sherborneschoolarchives
Back to album

Ellis, George Reginald (1885-1918)

Sherborne School, UK, Book of Remembrance for former pupils who died in the First World War, 1914-1918.


If you have any additional information about this individual, or if you use one of our images, we would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below or contact us via the Sherborne School Archives website:


Credit: Sherborne School Archives, Abbey Road, Sherborne, Dorset, UK, DT9 3AP.


Details: George Reginald Ellis (1885-1918), born 21 March 1885 at Bishop Auckland, Co. Durham, son of George William Ellis and Rosa Shafto Ellis (née Stratton) of The Elms, Bishop Auckland. Brother of John Henry Ellis (1884-?).


Attended Sponden House, Derby.


Attended Sherborne School (School House) September 1899-1903; 1st XV rugby football team 1901.


Attended Durham University; M.B.


Employed as a Doctor and Honorary Surgeon at the Lady Eden Hospital, Bishop Auckland.


WW1, Captain in the Royal Army Medical Corps (RAMC), commissioned 3 December 1914. Served with 86th (2nd Northumbrian) Field Ambulance, RAMC, part of the 28th Division. He served in France/Belgium from 19 January 1915 until at latest 22 November 1915, when the Division arrived in Egypt. On 4 January 1916, he followed the Division to Salonika on the SS ‘Nessian’. On 19 May 1916 he was admitted to 28 Divisional Hospital with enteritis and on 31st of that month was evacuated to Malta on the HS ‘Oxfordshire’. On the following day he was admitted to hospital with dysentery and on 19 June 1916 invalided to England, again aboard the ‘Oxfordshire’. He spent time up to January 1917 in 3rd Northern General Hospital, Sheffield.

He returned to Salonika via Marseilles on board the HT ‘Manitou’on 4 Febraury 1917, disembarking on 13 February, rejoining his unit. On 18 March he was admitted to 42 General Hospital with symptoms of diabetes mellitus. He was transferred to Malta on the HS ‘Vadiva’ and on 29 March admitted to St Andrew’s Hospital. A medical board held at St Andrew’s Hospital on 5 April 1917 recommended repatriation to England. He travelled back overland via Italy and France and a ‘leave boat’ from Boulogne to Folkestone, arriving back in the UK on 6 May 1917.

He relinquished his commission with 86th Field Ambulance, due to ill health, on 14 June 1917. He went to stay at his uncle’s home at Chedworth Vicarage and continued to be assessed at Army medical boards. One held at Chisledon on 16 May 1918 noted a worsening of his condition, with weakness, rapid weight loss and the presence of a persistent cough. It was discovered that he had tuberculosis in the right lung. He died, as a result of acute pulmonary tuberculosis on 28 June 1918, age 33 year.


Commemorated at:

Chedworth (St Andrew) Churchyard, Gloucestershire,%20G%20R


University of Durham Roll of Service 1914-1918.


Sherborne School: War Memorial Staircase.

0 faves
Taken on July 25, 2013