new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Wylie, Arthur William (1892-1915) | by sherborneschoolarchives
Back to album

Wylie, Arthur William (1892-1915)

Sherborne School, UK, Book of Remembrance for former pupils who died in the First World War, 1914-1918.


If you have any additional information about this individual, or if you use one of our images, we would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below or contact us via the Sherborne School Archives website:


Credit: Sherborne School Archives, Abbey Road, Sherborne, Dorset, UK, DT9 3AP.


Details: Arthur William Wylie (1892-1915), born 21 June 1892 in Dublin. Second son of Right Hon. Mr. Justice O. Wylie, K.C. (Judge of the Supreme Court of Judicature in Ireland) and Mrs. Nell Wylie of 113, Oakwood Court, Kensington, London. Nephew of the Rev. R.B. Wylie, MA, LLD, Portstewart.


Attended Strangway's School, Stephen's Green, Dublin.


Attended Sherborne School (Abbeylands) September 1905-December 1909.


Attended Dublin University.


Royal Militar Academy, 1910; Royal Military College, Sandhurst,1912; gazetted to the Lincolnshire Regiment in January 1913, being posted to the 2nd Battalion at Gibraltar, where he was stationed for a year, and then for a year at Bermuda. He was promoted Lieutenant in July 1914.


WW1, Lieutenant in the Lincolnshire Regiment, 2nd Bn. Went to the front in November 1914. Mentioned in Sir John French's Despatch of 31 May 1915. Killed at Neuve Chapelle on 10 March 1915.


Commemorated at:

Rue-Petillon Military Cemetery, Fleurbaix, III. A. 5,%20ARTHU...


Sherborne School: War Memorial Staircase; Book of Remembrance; Abbeylands roll of honour.


His Commanding Officer wrote "Your son was killed in the assault of Neuve Chapelle; our Regiment was one of two chosen to capture the village and the three German trenches that lay before it. He was with our leading Company and fell after we had taken the last German trench."


His Adjutant wrote "During the long winter months he was always so cheery and bright, which had a wonderful effect in keeping up the men's spirits in the trenches. At Neuve Chapelle he was one of the first out of the trenches to lead his men forward in that brilliant charge."


A fellow officer wrote "Arthur was in my company and I was sitting beside him when he was shot... Our Company led the attack on the morning of the 10th. This was the beginning of the big advance (upon Neuve Chapelle), which is in the papers. We charged the first German trench under a fairly heavy fire and went on until we had taken two more lines. After that we lay down in the open to let our supports, the Royal Irish Rifles, come through us and continue. It was at this point that I was sitting down talking to Arthur. There was very little firing from the enemy then as our Artillery were searching all the ground within fifty yards of us, thus making it quite untenable. At this point Arthur was hit right through the stomach from the direction of our own lines. The bullet turned in his body and came out into his coat pocket. I bandaged him up and made him as comfortable as possible under the circumstances. I then took a few men back with me to see where the shooting was coming from as it appeared to be our own troops. Eventually we found the brute. He was a German dressed up in a Scottish Borderer uniform, sniping out of a shell hole. I, of course, at once had him shot. I went back to poor Arthur and found him suffering a great deal. We gave him two morphia tablets which seemed to ease him for a time. He became unconscious about 1 pm and died about 2.30, having been shot between 8 and 9 that morning. He is buried with the other seven officers in quite a nice little orchard about half a mile from the firing line. On the 10th alone we lost sixteen officers (seven killed and eight wounded), and over 300 men. I forgot to tell you that Arthur behaved wonderfully bravely after being wounded. Although in great pain he never murmured and was cheerful until the very last."

0 faves
Taken on July 22, 2013