new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Llewellin, William Mervyn Johnes (1898-1918) | by sherborneschoolarchives
Back to album

Llewellin, William Mervyn Johnes (1898-1918)

Sherborne School, UK, Book of Remembrance for former pupils who died in the First World War, 1914-1918.


If you have any additional information about this individual, or if you use one of our images, we would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below or contact us via the Sherborne School Archives website:


Credit: Sherborne School Archives, Abbey Road, Sherborne, Dorset, UK, DT9 3AP.


Details: William Mervyn Johnes Llewellin (1898-1918), born 5 May 1898, son of Mr. R.J. Llewellin and Mrs. A.E.J. Llewellin of St. Stephen's House, Launceston, Cornwall.


Attended Upcott House preparatory school, Okehampton, Devon.


Attended Sherborne School (School House) May 1913-December 1916; scholar; 6th form; Prefect; Head of School House; 2nd XV rugby football team.


Attended Sandhurst.


WW1, 2nd Lieutenant in the South Wales Borderers, 1st Bn. Went from School to Sandhurst in January 1917; gazetted 2nd Lieutenant in December 1917, joining the 3rd Battalion and going to the 1st Battalion in France in April 1918. Slightly wounded in June 1918, but as his regiment was short of officers he remained at duty. Killed by a German bomb while on patrol with two soldiers at Cambrai on 17 August 1918.


Commemorated at:

St Mary's A.D.S. Cemetery, Haisnes, XI. F. 20,%20W...


Launceston War Memorial


Sherborne School: War Memorial Staircase; Book of Remembrance. T.J. Llewellin donated £50 towards the Sherborne School War Memorial in memory of his son, 2nd Lt. W.M.J. Llewellin.


Llewellin's obituary appeared in 'The Shirburnian', February 1919: '2nd Lieut. William Mervyn Johnes Llewellin, South Wales Borderers (a 1913-16), who was reported missing in August, was killed instantaneously on August 17th, by a German bomb while on patrol with two soldiers. One of the two was killed also, and the other taken prisoner: the latter has now returned home and reported the facts. Mervyn Llewellin came to the School House in May 1913, having been delayed for two terms by serious illness. His school life was a splendid struggle against ill health and a remarkable victory. He would never admit to the slightest feeling of illness until he was absolutely compelled to to so, and insisted on doing everything in work and play that the healthiest boy could do whenever possible. Before he left he reached the Upper VIth, was head of the School House, and in the 2nd XV. On leaving school he went to Sandhurst in January, 1917, and was gazetted to the South Wales Borderers in December of that year, joining the 3rd Battalion and going to the 1st Battalion in France in April, 1918. He was slightly wounded in June, but, as the regiment was short of officers, he remained at duty.'

1 fave
Taken on July 22, 2013