new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Miller, Horace (1897-1927) | by sherborneschoolarchives
Back to album

Miller, Horace (1897-1927)

Sherborne School, UK, Book of Remembrance for former pupils who have lost their lives in the service of their country, 1919-1939 and 1946 to date.


If you have any additional information about this individual, or if you use one of our images, we would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below or email us via the Sherborne School Archives website:


Credit: Sherborne School Archives, Abbey Road, Sherborne, Dorset, UK, DT9 3AP.


Details: Horace Miller (1897-1927), born 4 August 1897 at Castleton, Sherborne, Dorset, son of Thomas Henry Miller (Old Shirburnian) and Beatrice Miller (née Nutt), Castle Farm, Castleton, Sherborne, Dorset. Brother of Beatrice Rose Miller (1891-), Henry Nutt Miller (1893-), Alfred Owen Miller (1894-), and Thomas Herbert Miller (1899-). Married to Violet Miller (née Skinner).


Attended Sherborne Preparatory School.


Attended Sherborne School (day boy and Harper House) January 1911-July 1913.




Pilot Officer, Royal Air Force, Central School of Flying, Wittering, Wansford, Northamptonshire.


Died on 30 May 1927 at Peterborough Infirmary from injuries received in a flying accident near Withering Aerodrome, Wansford, Northamptonshire.


Commemorated at:

Sherborne School Book of Remembrance.


Dundee Courier, 1 June 1927:


What happened in the air prior to the accident which resulted in the death of Flying-Officer Horace Miller while practising forced landings near Withering Aerodrome, Northants, was described at the inquest at Peterborough yesterday by Flying-Officer Horden, who accompanied him on the flight. They were both going through a course of training at the Central Flying School, Withering, said the witness, prior to becoming instructors. Miller had done about 350 hours’ flying and was flying a two-seater Avro with dual control at the time of the accident. When at a height of about 1500 feet Miller shut off the engine and approached the landing field in a series of turns. When 200 feet up Miller found he was too high to land straight ahead. He made to turn to the left, but lost flying speed, and the machine stalled. He endeavoured to bring the nose of the machine up by pulling back the control column, but his had no effect. He then opened up the engine twenty feet from the ground, but it nose-dived to earth. The machine turned over, and the witness was able to scramble out uninjured. Miller was pinned down, and his head was partially buried in the ground. The fuselage of the machine broke in half, and the tail end fell over the front portion. The witness found the controls all right when he flew the machine. He attributed the accident to error of judgment. Loss of flying speed involved loss of control. The medical evidence showed that Miller died two hours after admission to Peterborough Infirmary from concussion and shock. A verdict of accidental death was returned.

0 faves
Uploaded on June 14, 2016