Museum Van Loon
Many visitors are pleasantly surprised by the big garden behind Museum Van Loon. It is an oasis of peace amidst the busy hustle of the city. Already in the seventeenth century, the gardens behind canal houses were considered unusual. A law that is still valid today was issued to protect them.
The garden was laid out after the restoration of the 1970's. Its plan is based on a symmetrical garden, drawn on a seventeenth century map of Amsterdam. In 1998 the garden was renovated, according to a design of the garden-architect Eugénie André de la Porte.
The garden is bordered by the facades of the canal house and the mews. The coaches and horses used the mews' entrance on the Kerkstraat.
The table in the Dining Room is fully dressed, Blue Drawing Room and Red Gents Rooms are filled with beautiful objects from the epoch, bedrooms on the first floor furnished give the idea of the life in the house before centuries.
Like many of the patrician Amsterdam houses from the second half of the 17c. , the house has a coach house with stable, which around 1920 has been turned into a garage of Willem van Loon automobiles. Later rebuilt, it serves now as a separate residence closed to the public.
Amsterdam, the Netherlands, April 23, 2006. Photo taken with Nikon EM film camera.
A Amsterdam 178