Last Days of the Transbay Terminal
From its opening in 1939 until 1958, the Transbay Terminal was the Bay Area's central train...See more
From its opening in 1939 until 1958, the Transbay Terminal was the Bay Area's central train station, the destination for streetcars from the East Bay bound for San Francisco. The Terminal -- designed by the legendary Bay Area architect Timothy Pflueger as an Art Moderne complement to the Bay Bridge -- was built as part of the bridge project, along with tracks on the bridge's lower deck. In 1958, though, the tracks were removed and the Terminal was left to serve only buses, and it fell into decline. By the millennium, transit had begun to grow again in popularity -- but ironically, this is what ultimately sealed the Terminal's fate, as plans were made to replace it with a new regional rail and bus hub. The Terminal was closed just after midnight on August 7, 2010. These photos were taken on its final weekend, July 30 and 31, 2010.