The dome of Sydney's Queen Victoria Building, reflected in the windows of an office block.
The site, originally the first Sydney markets, was selected for the construction of a grand government building, intended to employ skilled craftsmen, out of work during a severe recession. Designed by architect George McRae, it was completed in 1898. First known as the George Street Market, the Queen Victoria Building was designed as a monument to the then long reigning monarch.
The building as completed included a concert hall, and coffee shops and showrooms shared the interior arcade with tradesmen such as tailors, mercers, hairdressers and florists. Over the years sometimes drastic changes were made, with the concert hall becoming the municipal library and Sydney City Council offices displacing many of the commercial tenants.
The building steadily deteriorated, and as recently as 1959 it was threatened with demolition. During the 1970s it was restored, and is now home to a wide variety of mostly upmarket boutiques and "brand-name" shops.