Salar de Uyuni: shortly after sunrise
The Salar de Uyuni is the largest salt flat in the world, located in southern Bolivia.
At 10,582 square kilometers and at an altitude of 3,656 metres, it is covered by a few metres of salt crust, which has an extraordinary flatness: the average altitude variation is within one metre over the entire area of the Salar. This flatness, combined with high albedo, makes it a standard for measuring relative altitude from space.
As well as all that, it's a fantastically beautiful place to be; a stunning landscape!
Blog posting on just how stunning the Atacama desert and Bolivian Altiplano are.
This photo is in 24 groups
- The Lie of the Land (add one, comment one) 22,801 items
- Nature's Patterns 11,137 items
- Uyuni 182 items
- Sudamérica/América do Sul/South America (Post 1; Award 3). 22,351 items
- Crystal Award-- Invited Photos Only 88,374 items
- AYR Photos - Travelling & Adventure (post 1 comments 2) 1,166 items