St Andrews Church K1__0096.jpg
This is Plymouth's Mother Church.
St Andrew patron saint of fishermen. The first Saxon church, dedicated to St Andrew, was probably a low, wooden building, hidden behind Plymouth Hoe and out of sight of marauding pirates. The church was served by itinerant priests until 1087 when the first vicar, Elpheage, was appointed.
The church was built of stone in 1170 to replace the earlier wooden church. The church grew from its original, simple cruciform shape after 1385 when firstly two chapels were built, followed by two aisles and two transepts, then finally the tower which was completed in about 1490.
It was burnt out and roofless after bombing attacks in 1941. The word "Resurgam" was put on the north door and remains there today. Repaired and reconsecrated by 1957