new icn messageflickr-free-ic3d pan white
Portugal, Palácio da Pena | by schulze-
Back to photostream

Portugal, Palácio da Pena

O Palácio da Pena. ou «Castelo da Pena» como na gíria popular é mais conhecido, constitui o mais completo e notável exemplar da arquitectura portuguesa do Romantismo. Está situado num dos cumes fragosos da Serra de Sintra e integra-se de modo inesperadamente feliz no seu tecido natural de verdura e penedia, atestando as potencialidades estéticas do projecto. O Palácio remonta a 1839, quando o rei consorte D. Fernando II de Saxe Coburgo-Gotha (1816-1885) adquiriu as ruínas do Mosteiro Jerónimo de Nossa Senhora da Pena e iniciou a sua adaptação a palacete, segundo a sua apurada sensibilidade de romântico.

 

National Pena Palace, dating from 1839, is situated about 4,5km from Sintra’s historical centre, on at the top of the Monte da Pena, and is considered to be the most complete and beautiful monument of the Portuguese 19th century Romantic revival architecture.

The Palace was imagined by Dom Fernando of Saxe Coburg-Gotha, who married the queen Dona Maria II in 1836, and completely fell in love with the beautiful Sintra region and bought this property, on the site of an old monastery belonging to the Order of St. Jerome.

The Baron of Eschwege started the construction work, that was inspired in the Baviera palaces, in order to create a singular building that conjugated influences of others castles in the centre of Europe, with the Moorish lines and Gothic and Manueline motif’s, according to the revivalist taste (neo-Gothic, neo-Manueline, neo-Islamic, neo-Renaissance).

235 views
0 faves
3 comments
Taken on October 3, 2011