Hartwell Dam Historical Photos
The Hartwell Dam and Lake Project, located on the upper Savannah River in Hartwell, Ga., and Anderson, S.C., was constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Savannah District from 1955 through 1962.

The Hartwell Power Plant generated and put on-line the first electricity from the hydroelectric facility on April 27, 1962.

Hartwell Lake contains 55,900 acres of water and has 962 miles of shoreline; 23,563 acres of public land surrounds the lake.

Hartwell Dam was built with more than 880,000 cubic yards of concrete (enough to build a sidewalk from the dam to San Francisco) and more than 3 million pounds of reinforcing steel.

Today, Hartwell Lake is one of the top five most-visited Corps lakes in the nation and attracts more than 10 million visitors annually.

The year 2012 marks the 50-year anniversary of this valuable resource---which provides flood risk reduction, fish and wildlife habitat, hydropower, water quality and water supply, downstream navigation, and recreation---to the region and nation.
19 photos · 3,013 views