Graz, Styria, (Austria), Herz Jesu Kirche, Chiesa del Sacro Cuore, Iglesia del Sacré Cœur, l’église du Sacré-Cœur, Church du Sacré-Cœur (Naglergasse/Sparbersbachgasse)
The Sacred Heart Church or Sacred Heart Parish church Graz is a brick building in neo-Gothic style, a Roman Catholic church in Graz St. Leonhard . The building was built in 1881-1887 and has the third highest spire in Austria and is one of the most important buildings of historicism in Styria.
In 1875, called a native of South Tyrol Prince Bishop Johann Baptist Zwerger, a great admirer of the Sacred Heart, for the first time to build a Sacred Heart Church for Graz. The church should be a parish center for the then rapidly growing Gründerzeitviertel now in the district of St. Leonhard and at the same time representing an important monument of the Sacred Heart devotion .
After long discussions about the architecture ( the building of a church of the nature of the Votive Church (in Vienna) had to be rejected for cost reasons) eventually a native of Graz George of Hauberrisser, architect of the Munich town hall, was commissioned with the establishment of the church in neo-Gothic brick style by way of the north German churches in the style of Brick Gothic . The groundbreaking ceremony took place in 1881, in 1885 the same roof was completed in 1887 and celebrated the high tower. On 5 June 1891 the church was consecrated , but only on 10 October 1902 the parish church. In the years 2004 and 2005, a comprehensive foreign restoration was carried out.
Herz-Jesu- Kirche Graz , north -west side
The church and parsonage are built in the same style surrounded by a park and visibly influenced by the ideals of Romanticism. To achieve a monumental appearance , despite the low-lying building site , the church was built in the form of a two-storey lower church , which opens in arcades to the park, and an overlying upper church. The southwest tower of the church is not exactly geostet (eastern-oriented) with 109.6 meters the third highest church tower in Austria , according to the towers of St. Stephen's Cathedral and St. Mary's Cathedral in Linz.
The church was to as many people on the sanctuary to provide a view built as a directed road church with side chapels , support free interior and integrated into the nave wall piers. The stern look of great free interior is enlivened by colorful windows and wall frescoes. The prevailing inside single overall impression is due to the fact that Hauberrisser has designed every little detail and even the original equipment is still intact .
The new altar designed by Gustav Troger
Look through the nave to the front
Looking back through the nave
Through a wide steps of plant base of a large pointed arch at the transition is made to the presbytery. A higher floor level than the ship and a little different material choice the altar area is highlighted.
As part of the preparation for the Centenary of the Church in 1991 led to a redesign of the altar area of the church. In the spirit of the liturgy reforms of the Second Vatican Council , a smaller additional altar was to maintain the original high altar still can , built on an upstream , designed by the architect Henry Tritthart podium. This so-called people's altar was made according to a design by the Styrian artist Gustav Troger , as well as a new ambo and glass chandeliers.
The original altar consecrated to the Sacred Heart is designed as altar canopy . In the front pediment of the altar canopy wound of a crown of thorns heart is to see, and an openwork roof attachment holds the statue of the risen, the Redeemer pointing to his open heart.
There are small chapels with Retabelaltären and murals on both sides of the nave.
Joseph's Chapel Lady Chapel
Francis Xavier Chapel Aloisiuskapelle
Barbara Chapel Nepomukkapelle
Cross Chapel Baptistry
At the request of the architect Hauberrisser Viennese genre and historical painter Karl Karger was entrusted with the production of the mural. Karger then created boxes, after which his pupils Johann Lukesch and Max Goldfeld ran the paintings from 1886 to 1906. The 12 murals on the sides of the nave and chancel on the north wall form a closed cycle, which begins with the worship of Christ front right by shepherds and kings and ends with the crucifixion of Christ. Each image is accompanied by an explanatory quotation from the Bible .
Stations of the Cross
The 14 Stations of the Cross painted on copper plates , which are located on the outer walls of the side chapels were designed by the Viennese painter Josef Kastner .
The octagonal pulpit rests on a stronger central column and seven slender columns, which also take the stairs. In the fields the pulpit railing relief busts of the four evangelists are seen at the six corners of the sound cover are angel with a banner ( Discite a me, uia mitis sum et humilis corde - Learn from me , for I am meek and humble of heart ' , Matthew 11:29 ) , and on the underside of the lid, the sound is represented as a dove symbolizing the Holy Spirit.
The glass windows of the Sacred Heart Church provide one of the few completely preserved ensemble neo-Gothic glass art in Austria. From the according to the design of Haubenrisser designed windows came the figural art glass in stained glass of the Institution Neuhauser in Innsbruck, the simpler glazing partially in Graz. In the figural windows main content Christian doctrine is presented, such as the Trinity and the saints and the risen Christ.
1889 a large two-manual organ with 36 registers and pneumatic action was built by the Walcker firm. 1941, the plant was then a third manual, a positive return, extended and converted the pneumatic action of electro-pneumatic operation . An overhaul of the builders firm was completed in 1991. Now there are 52 registers.
In the first World War II were dismantled all bronze bells as war material. In the 2nd World War II again. Only the smallest was then obtained. As a result of it steel bells were installed, for cost reasons and because it is to be expected that they remain safe. Only the largest (about 3000 kg) is currently at 7 , 12 and 19 clock ( electric motor ) rung (2009). The small bronze bell serves as Totenglöcklein (death knell).
The lower church is dedicated to the poor souls. This three-nave system can be achieved through a wide staircase and a hall through the unspoilt natural brick structure of the pier produces a strong impression. Closing windows on three figualen choir Christ , Mary and John the Baptist are seen. The original altar of the lower church is located directly beneath the high altar of the upper church and is a simple Retabelaltar with relief representations of the " poor souls ". Even in the lower church, a new altar area was built to celebrate the winter here in worship. The redesign of the altar area was designed by architect Henry Tritthart.